DIM problem

BobbyT

I have a problem with my DIM It keeps letting go. It has been changed 4 times, and each time it malfuntions even quicker than the time before. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

no answer huh?

I guess If was asking questions on how to make the car do 13s in the quarter I could get tons of replies.

Quick answer

No, I think if you wait a day or two you might get an answer, you just posted today, there are other things to do other than answer your question as soon as you ask it.
Ed

Ahh yess.. the ever popular helpme and if you don't do it right now then I don't have time for you.

Pretending you didn't cop an attitude.

What is a DIM? Dimmer on the column, auto dimmer on the enhanced lighting module, dimmer on the auto dim mirror?

c'mon guys...he did post this thing two days ago...and we know that some of us SC freaks frequent this thing a few times a day (or am I just weird?:confused: :eek: ) Anywho, i did see this post when it first appeared and I also have no clue what DIM is.

First off, what the heck is a DIM? Do you mean Distributorless Ignition System Module (commonly referred to as a DIS Module)? Second you just said it has been "letting go". Can you be a little more specific there. How, what are the conditions, what exactly is the car doing, how do you know it is "letting go"? Third, there are a lot of questions that don't go answered because either nobody knows the answer or it has been asked 1000 times before and there is a post about it just two posts down. I believe your question would fall under the former set of circumstances. Apparently, myself included, nobody knows what a DIM is. And fourth, just because your question does not get answered right away is no reason to complain or act like the unfortunate son. 99.99% of the time if someone has an answer or even an idea they will post it.

Sorry

sorry for the spelling mistake it is the DIS module. and the popping is the continueing malfuntion of this module. Which eash time it "pops" or malfuctions it is no longer any useful and has to be replaced. which can get costly after it has been replaced several times. I bought the car for $500 and it is real good condition and I thought I would see if I could fix it before I decide to strip it for use in a different car

Do you say "pops" because you can actually hear it fail?

I would check into a few things.

#1 - you have to put heat sink grease on the bottom of the unit before you bolt it down. It generates tons of heat and uses the accessory drive bracket as a heat sink.

#2 - get your charging system checked. Most places will check it for free. Your alternator could be putting out too much voltage and damaging the DIS.

#3 - Make sure the ground wires to the engine are all connected. On the dirvers side of the engine the battery negative cable is connected. On the passenger side there is a braided cable that goes from the frame to the block.

I agree with Mike and the others on this. There is no reason why you should go through several bad "new" DIS modules. I could understand if one or even two that you bought new were bad. Something else is wrong and is causing the failure of the module. Like others have said, the heat sink compound applied to the bottom of the DIS before mounting onto the A/C bracket is critical. You should be able to get it at a Radio Shack (or electronics supply store if you don't have those). It is not the same as dielectric grease. Mike also makes several other good suggestions. On top of those, have you tried scanning the computer for codes? This will not pickup an electrical overload on the system, but it may be able to point you in a direction of the failure or give you some hints if it is something else.

coil

could the coil cause this if its not operating correctly?
just a thought. I see there is a way to check the coil with an ohm meter

I don't think the coil would cause the DIS module to blow, but it could cause the car to run poorly. I've never heard of a coil pack going out on one of these, but anything is possible. I think I remember seeing a test for the coil in the Ford service manual. It might also be in the Haynes manual. What exactly is the car doing anyway? You haven't listed any symptoms of what is going on. Could be something simple like the cam or crank sensor. Are you getting a check engine light? We can help you out better with that information.

the car starts and runs for a bit then the dis module lets go
and then it doesnt run anymore. I;m just going by the guy I bought it from. the car was a cheap buy

Back