Cant get brake fluid to come out of the rear brakes ?

Spider

this is posted in the Members section but i might get a faster and more replies in the public area.

Gerry Rider said:
For the rears, you have have the key on to fill the accumulator and pressurized the system. Then push the pedal down and hold it while you open bleeder screw for 10 seconds. Repeat until no air is observered coming out. Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 attempts since lines are small and pressure is high (2000 psi). Does pump come on and run when you turn the key on? Is the master cylinder full of fluid? Is pedal hard after you pump it a few times? You may have a problem similar to what I'm trying to puzzle through. Great isn't it?

ok i got the key on.
i pumped the brake 50 times until the brake felt different/hard.
i pushed the pedal down all the way and opened the bleeder for about 10 to 15 seconds. done this about 15 times.
reservoir is fill of fluid.
i hear the pump come on for about 10 seconds when i turn on the key.
all this and i still cant get any fluid to come out of the rear bleeder... ?
i have no rear brakes and this is my only car. any ideas on what i can do ?

also the brake pedal only gets hard when i pump them a bunch of times with the key off. if i do it with the key on it stays the same (normal presure)
also after building up presure with the key off and the brake gets hard the resivoir fills up and goes about 1/2" about the full level. after normal driving it sits at the full line.

Last edited:
Try removing the REAR RIGHT bleeder from the caliper. I think you can then hold the brake pedal down while the key is ON and fluid should come out of the caliper like crazy (because of the pump pressure).

If nuthin' else, your bleeder screw might be clogged.

'bird

Your proportioning valve could have sild closed. Try stabbing at the brakes with both bleeders open. You may have to try this a few times but it usually works.

can't get fluid to rear brakes

I puzzled this one for long time after installing all new brakes. Finally by sheer chance and for lack of anything else to do, I started pulling off the ABS electrical connections, cleaning the contacts and reninstalling plugs. VOILA!, like magic I suddenly had fluid at the rear brakes and the ABS started working just fine. I wonder if many of the ABS, no fluid, etc problems are due to dirt, corroded electrical contacts. An easy thing to try and to fix.
Gerry

Back