fmic

nickleman60

what's the advantage or disadvantage of going with 2.5" inlet,outlet or 3" inlet,outlet?i've been looking at fabbing up my own and have found i/c's in both sizes in my price range.

i know alot of you have put together your own setup so please give me some imput.i plan on centering up the radiator in the middle so that i have about a 5" gap on either side of it.that'll make it easy to plum the inlet and outlet of the i/c.by the way i deleted all the ac stuff.the i/c i'm probably going to get is overall 28"x 12.4"x3.75" and claims it flows 1200cfm.it's made for an evo and lists for $99 plus shipping on ebay.i plan on fabbing everything up and then getting my buddy at work to weld it all up using as few couplings as possible.man you ought to see the welding beads this dude can put down.he's a welder by trade and seeing many many projects he's done at work i have no doubts in his ability.

Well I may not be able to give you the most acurate info. But I can give you what I have read and what I have learned from others and a search.

Most have gone with the a 3" inch pipe mainly due to availability because most larger IC's have a 3" inlet/outlet. 3" inch pipe is also more available than 2.5 or 3.5. You can find IC's with 2.5 inlet outlets. Some use reducers because of the readily available 3" piping. Another aspect is velocity. The M90can be spun at a high RPM but on an SC it can not. Heat is not your friend.

Some have gone with a 3" inlet and a 2.5" outlet to increase the return velosity. Considering the that I wont be spinning a ported newer blower more than 3%, I will be going with a 2.5" inlet/outlet.

Personally from what I have read....not here. The differance in 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet makes no differance in the world. If the M90 was given the possibilities of what its capable of doing stock, Ford would have put a bigger IC than the shoebox they used. The IC is used to cool the air. Not the tube. The faster you get it to the IC does not mean its going to cool faster.

Personally I would get a 2.5 inlet/outlet. The differance you save on the IC itself will be made up in the cost of finding the 2.5 pipe. Its all preferance.

My intensions are to have the 2.5 so that I can safely run the tubes on the same side. Less travel, less pipe and it gives a little more room to run the pipes over the alt and away from the exhaust.

Just my 2 cents....and thats all its worth Do a search, the guys on here are the Monster garage.

Hey! Can someone give some insight on this? I know there are many discussions over it. I just want to make sure I added some insight and not talking out of my Arse. There have been a lot of views and no imput.

well i purchased an intercooler and piping kit tonight,i went with the 3".together both of them with shipping cost me $275.the piping kit comes with worm clamps so i bought a set of 10 t-bolt clamps for 3" piping for $25.all of the welding needed on anything won't cost me a dime so for $300 it's going to be one nice setup.this is going on a 89 sc my son and i are fixing up for him.when i'm done i'll post some pics.

Its alot tougher trying to get it all to fit. Have fun with those 3 inch pipes :rolleyes: . Mine have 2.75 upper and lower and it only fits under a Cervinis Hood (and just barely). A stock hood wouldnt even come close.

xThunderbirdSCx said:
Its alot tougher trying to get it all to fit. Have fun with those 3 inch pipes :rolleyes: . Mine have 2.75 upper and lower and it only fits under a Cervinis Hood (and just barely). A stock hood wouldnt even come close.

I got my hood to close.:D Just cut a hole in it.

I ran 21/2 piping because I ran them side by side. I dont think 3" piping is needed as long as your using an M90. Maybe with an AR or M112 that moves more air it would be sized right. It is a pain to fit up piping and the smaller size will probably be much easier. But than the big 3" looks real cool

Ken

Back