probally no easy answer

thundrburd

ok here is the deal , just put a new motor in my 95 sc, have about 500 miles on the new motor, and already having problems, my check engine light came on , so I pulled over to check around, nothing seemed to be wrong, still sounded good, well, I started driving again, and it went off, so I didnt think anything of it, well then it decided to come on again, so I figured it was time to bring it home, well on the way home, It cut out a little bit once or twice in about a 5 mile drive, all the rest of the time it runs fine, and none of the gauges are reading anything other than normal, so I am confused on what the hell could be wrong, if anyone has any advice, that would be great, I checked the fluids and they seem to be alright, but when I did pull the dipstick for the oil it was steaming a little and it wasnt cold outside, so any help would be great

thanks

Tony

first things first.....pull the codes....that would be a good starting spot

thundrburd said:
ok here is the deal , just put a new motor in my 95 sc, have about 500 miles on the new motor, and already having problems, my check engine light came on , so I pulled over to check around, nothing seemed to be wrong, still sounded good, well, I started driving again, and it went off, so I didnt think anything of it, well then it decided to come on again, so I figured it was time to bring it home, well on the way home, It cut out a little bit once or twice in about a 5 mile drive, all the rest of the time it runs fine, and none of the gauges are reading anything other than normal, so I am confused on what the hell could be wrong, if anyone has any advice, that would be great, I checked the fluids and they seem to be alright, but when I did pull the dipstick for the oil it was steaming a little and it wasnt cold outside, so any help would be great

thanks

Tony

where is the plug in for the computer on these cars ?
I was planning on bringing it to for and having them run the computer on it since I just got the engine from them about 2 weeks ago and apartently its already having problems

You can buy a tool to read your code from auto parts stores.
I got mine from Auto Zone, I think it cost me around $25.00.

After you down load the codes.Don't forget to take the
possitive battery cable off . This will clear any old codes.

Randy

Then take it to whoever installed it for diagnosis. If you installed it then you can easily diagnose the problem using the suggestions already mentioned. You can even scan for codes yourself with only a paperclip. Try doing a search on here for how to do it. There are also several resources elsewhere online that show how to do it. Until you get the code(s) you'll only be guessing at what is going on.

ok thanks, I will have to do that, it sucks that its only a few days old and already ~~~~ed up, oh well

It is most likely just a sensor that maybe wasn't properly connected or has gone bad. Nothing to worry about, it happens.

ok, well went to auto zone and had them run codes on it, and they said that in there little book it said it was reading that it couldnt find one of the cylinders, it didnt know when it was firing, if it was misfiring or anything, basically he said it was acting like it wasnt there, so has anyone ever heard of this ?? from what he said it could be a timing issue or something could be wrong with the computer, but If anyone could help me pinpoint the problem that would be great, thanks

Tony

ok, so does anyone know how hard it is to change plugs on these cars ??
do you have to take anything apart to get to any of them ??
I have changed plugs in my truck before, but these look like there a little more crammed in, but if I can do it myself I would rather, thanks

Tony

Back