GM sc FLUID $10

sizemoremk

I called to check stock on the SC fluid and they said they had it but wanted $10 a bottle:eek:

So more on principle, I called up the jet service folk, and they had the BP 2380 for $12 a quart. So I got that.

I thought ya'll were paying like $6-7 a bottle for the GM stuff???

But it would have been two bottles for $20!

And I will likely have a need for some more when I modify another blower, and a friend of mine will need some when he's done porting his blower... So better to spend $12 and have plenty of extra!

I'm also cheap and like to complain about rediculous prices :p

Well, ~~~~! You didn't say all that! :)

Btw, get the ariline stuff, then put it in GM bottles and sell to the rest of us :eek:

List price is $6.92 .. I paid $4.84 for each bottle of the GM fluid through my Chevy parts guy. I order parts all the time, and it comes from out of state, so no tax, all I pay is shipping.

- Dan

SC Fluid

After some research on the GM fluid vs. the Ford Fluid debate, I found a SCCOA page that says the GM is not synthetic, the Ford SC fluid is. The GM documentation requires the fluid to be changed every 30k miles, the Ford every 100K miles. Sounds like you get what you pay for.

Has anyone been able to confirm this? http://www.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/partnumbers.htm

blah..blah..blah. it's been debated before. The spec for the fluid is exactly the same for the Ford stuff. People have actual experience using the GM stuff with zero problems. People have actual experience using the BP stuff with no problems.

Engineering aside, you should be just fine. The main special component of this fluid is that it tends to stay stable when heated, thus no need for a vent in the sealed case.

Mike I hate to disagree with you but I will anyway. If indeed the Ford is synthetic and the GM isnt the application may be the same...But the specs of the fluid itself definitely isnt. Just as in a car that standard 10w30 is specified for...Yes you can use synthetic or regular,,,,But the synthetic is better. No blah about it

I look at it this way. If you just rebuilt the snout and are confident of having no leaks then use the ford stuff it will last longer. If your snout is leaking and you just want to top it off then the BP or GM stuff will be just fine. Damon is right though if you replace it with GM fluid then use the GM fluid change interval. Will both work? Yep sure will. If you are one of the few people here that will put another 100k on their blower before its rebuilt, replaced, ported, or parted out then I recommend the Ford fluid. For the vast majority of us who can't keep their hands out of the engine bay the GM stuff is fine.

Someone get the MSDS for the GM fluid and the Ford fluid and we can look over the components. I'm curious, but not enough to try and find the old threads where someone had posted some.

Assuming the products are different, there still has been no appreciable actual difference in performance or life experienced by users of the GM or Ford or BP fluids... to date that is.

All it needs to be is a thin oil, nothing special. I'm using some Mobil 1 Jet engine oil in my blower, but 0W-30 Mobil 1 will work fine with no problems.

PLEASE dont suggest using motor oil in a SC blower. I went through 3 blowers on my 93 before I found out the guys who rebuilt it was putting regular motor oil in them. They were going through bearings left and right, making horrible noises, and one of them locked up completely while driving:eek: The fourth time it was rebuilt ( all on the same blower) they used the pricey Ford fluid and it never gave another hint of trouble.

Dan Sly runs Mobil 1 0W-30 in his blower (as far as I remember him saying). Yeah you shouldn't run a regular 5W-30 motor oil because it isn't thin enough, but Mobil 1 0W-30 is like water. A completely different motor oil as it isn't JUST a motor oil like the others.

Back