schryo problems

1064rg

I have a 93 SC, 5sp. While at a stop, it is hard to put the shifter into 1st gear w/o grinding it. If you are moving it is almost impossible to get it into gear w/o some creative double clutching. Is the 1st gear schryo out/going out. What is the best way to fix this? I've learned to deal w/it, but we are selling the wife's car, and she will be driving mine, SOOO, it needs to be fixed.
Any thoughs?

lol............best way to fix it is to replace the synchros and rebuild the tranny. I mean i wish i could just do a "I Dream of Genie" head nod and fix synchros, but i cant :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Use the search feature!

Is this something a serious DIYer, w/ proper manuals, could do, or is this something best left to the pros?

if youve never been in a tranny before(hahaha :D ;) ), best bet is to leave it to the pros. ask around here first for mechanics to get a better deal than some uptown hillbilly corner mechanic.

This is just not something you want to guess at. A tiny bunch of little macroscopic washers, nuts, etc... to loose and/or not remember where they go.

the Ford "Transmission Guy"

Also, beware of the Ford dealers "Transmission Guy"!!! A lot of them have never even seen an M5R2!!! Always make sure that the mechanic knows these trannys inside & out. Just because the Ford transmission guy has a manual on the tranny, doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. BTDT!!!!!!

68COUGAR

I've been into many things, but trannys aren't one of them.MAybe I'd rebuild one with some help, but not by myself. R&R I can handle, but the rebuild will prob be done by a pro. Now to find a pro locally

Before you start ripping into your transmission, when was the last time the clutch was replaced or serviced. Also hows the fluid level for the clutch as it is hydraulic.

I'm saying this cause usually its the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros that wear out first from all the reading I've been doing. If the clutch isn't fully releasing, THAT can make shifting very hard to do etc.

Start with the simpler stuff first....... (not that anything is simple in these cars ;) )

Frit

stock clutch, it is untouched 90K miles

fluid level is ok

tranny fluid is old, maybe I'll change it tomorrow and see if that helps

Once I get moving, everything shifts fine, up and down, EXCEPT going into 1st.

ps how do I add a signature to my posts:confused:

Back