1991 Thunderbird SC stalling Need Help

Darkwhite

The engine is a 3.8L Supercharged no mods. I just recently had the Crank shaft pulley wheel and the harmonic balancer replaced with new ones and the car has been running great for three days although today I noticed that the rpms kept dropping well it was idleing then I went to start it again today and twice in a row when I put it into reverse the rpms dropped to 0 and the engine stalled out this is an automatic car I have heard different things I don't know if its the mechanics fault that installed that part or it has something to do with the air idleing control motor or if its anything worse.

Any help would be great

Thanks

That sounds like what happens when the EEC is "re-learning" the idle after the car has had the battery disconnected for a while. I don't know why it would take several days to show up unless you haven't driven the car much. You probably should pull codes and see if anything comes up. Does the CEL come on when your driving?

You may also want to double-check the balancer bolt. If it wasn't torqued properly (to around 110ft-lbs) the balancer could be "walking" away from the sensor. The "upshift" arrow will come on if there is a problem with the crank sensor.

yah when it stalled the check gauges light came on and the upshift arrow came on I can believe it though but yah I drive it everyday and this just happens its been actign weird the past couple of days with idleing. Would that loose bolt cause the engine to shake hard when idleing?

Last edited:
Back