SC still thinks it needs an oil change

1QuikV6

I changed my oil today (Mobil1 Forced Induction Blend) and it just bugs me that the information screen still says it needs an oil change... how do I reset it? Is it accurate?

ok figured out how to reset it but the question still remains if its accurate...

The VMM measures oil temperature and engine revolutions to calculate the recommended oil change interval. If it comes back on in 1000 miles for no good reason, it's probably because your oil level / temperature sensor in the pan is going bad.

(I didn't even know it was a temp sensor until lately.)

I thought it went by mileage... Silly me... to think that the VMM wasn't intelligent...

On my 90 SC, it would lite about 1500 miles. I finally learned to change it on every other cycle.

On my 89 XR7, I change oil, reset VMM and it tells me it needs changing again within a mile. Then next time I start the car it may be OK. Seems like it has a mind of it's own. That's why I think the VMM is gonna get ditched in my car. I can simply watch the odometer and change oil when it hits 5000 miles (Mobil-1) like I have done with any other car.

So as far as accuracy, I would say, if all sensors and the VMM itself are all new then it would be accurate, but being as old as these things are I wouldn't count on it.

Heck, I can let the washer fluid go EMPTY and drain out the coolant overflow tank and they NEVER light up. Never seen anything as far as low fuel come on either.

My washer fluid always shows as low, even when full. I guess there is a sensor on the tank somewhere that needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Having owned the Supercoupe right off the lot, I now have 200000+ miles on the original engine. I change the oil every 5000 miles and use normal 10w30 pennzoil + new filter. This means I have changed the oil at least 40 times over the years. The VMM usually blinks change oil every 1500 miles, so I reset it and generally ignore it.

Instead, I write the next change mileage on a small strip of yellow postit and keep it next to the speedometer. Been doing this for years. :cool:

Yep I have 255k on mine with oil changes every 2500 miles (Mobil1) but Im anal about oil changes and I figure at this mileage it has alot of blowby anyway. Still makin 11psi on a stock pulley though! rock on :cool:

Back