Electric fan CFM and install help please

Spider

ok I'm thinking about install a new cooling fan for my Radiator.

what CFM does the stock fan blow ?

how do i install the new fan ? just cut my plug off and create a new plug for my car and the fan and just plug them together ?
and what about the amp Draw on thse fans ? do i need to think about that ?

heres the 2 fans im thinking about. i think im going to get the cheaper one
i tried searching on on these forums for awnsers but i did a search and i couldnt find anything.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-320714&N=1004+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-19114&N=1004+115&autoview=sku

AWG wire sizes

Spider said:
just cut my plug off and create a new plug for my car and the fan and just plug them together? and what about the amp Draw on thse fans ? do i need to think about that ?
Yes, you need be concerned about the amperage draw of the new fan. Fortunately, it's not hard to figure out. The fan specs will tell you how many amps it draws. That's the easy part. Then you have to figure out the size (AWG) of the 12VDC & GND wires that pwr. the OEM fan. Then go to the library & get a book on AWG current capacity. With the AWG size of the wires, look up the current capacity of the wire. If the fan draws less amps than the capacity of the wire-----You're good to go. Just splice the connectors.

If the fan draws MORE amps than the wire can handle, then you have 3 options. (1) buy a fan with a lower amp rating, (2) Replace the OEM fan wireing with larger wires, or (3) Wire a new fan ckt, using larger wires. Actually (2) & (3) are nearly the same. (2) runs the new wires INSIDE the OEM wireing harness, & (3) runs the new wires OUTSIDE the OEM wireing harness. Electrically (2) & (3) are the same.

68COUGAR

the stock oem fan is on a 60 amp fuse so i i doubt the aftermarket fan will draw more. if anything it'll draw less so using the same circuit just change the fuse to the proper amp and connect the existing wires to the new fan.

Not so Fast, Bunky

nickleman60 said:
the stock oem fan is on a 60 amp fuse so i i doubt the aftermarket fan will draw more. if anything it'll draw less so using the same circuit just change the fuse to the proper amp and connect the existing wires to the new fan.
Not Necessarily. You are assuming that the fan is the ONLY current draw on the 60 amp fuse. That is usually Not the case. Example: Unplug one fuse in the fuse box, & see how many things go dead.

Checking the amperage rating of the fan wires, is the Best way to ensure that the wireing harness doesn't go into nuclear meltdown!!!

68COUGAR

You may want to run it thru a relay to protect your harness. Especially if more than stock current draw.

cougar i don't know about an 89 to 93 but i've got a 94 sc and it has a dedicated 60 amp mega fuse(#5) under the hood for the engine fan and a dedicated 30 amp mega fuse (#16)for the pusher fan.there's nothing else on those circuits but the fans.

12.5 amps and 9.50 on the other fan.i suppose i can try to find a book on how many amp my stock fan draws, should possibly say on the fan somewhere like maybe on the electric motor.

those links seem to be for a IC fan cooling system.
i was pretty much looking for a Radiator cooling fan that will come on and off like the stock Radiator fan does.
good link though that IC cooler idea is pretty cool, might have to try that to.

nickleman60 said:
cougar i don't know about an 89 to 93 but i've got a 94 sc and it has a dedicated 60 amp mega fuse(#5) under the hood for the engine fan and a dedicated 30 amp mega fuse (#16)for the pusher fan.there's nothing else on those circuits but the fans.
if thats the case im sure those fan will work with no problem, also since theres 2 wires on the New fan and 2 wires on the plug on the stock fan im sure they can be connected and everything will be ok ? will this work ok ?

or mybee just mount 4 18" fans to the underside of the hood and have 4 fans blowing down on the motor ? how that sound :D

Last edited:
Sorry, got the fans confused.

Check out this post in the member form. Someone tried a aftermarket fan and didn't find it cooled any better, another person posted the wattage of the stock fan on the high speed windings.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32688&highlight=stock+fan+cfm

A hint for searching. When you search on something, it sometimes works to go to the last page first. That's where the oldest posts are, most of which are from the TBSCEC. And most of those posts were quick, to the point, and accurate. Of course only members can access them, thus our $15 benefit kicks in.

cool thanks for the tip, i would think it would cool more using a 2900cfm and without having the extra blade guards on the fan like the SC does, but i suppose its not really worth it since people aren't talking about it like they do with the IC fan cooling. i think more of a cowl induction hood or something would be better than a fan. unless there someone else who used a aftermarket fan and says the benefits of the cooling compares to the benefits of the IC cooling fan.

Back