Performance Chip ??????????

TBIRD-SC

I want to put in a performance chip to increase H.P. and fuel economy is this an oxymoron or can it be acheived? What chips seem to be the best for the 3.8 SC and are multi function chips the way to go? What programs would be the best to put into one? I have so many questions about them just looking for a place to start. Thanks

Most people are using SCT chips with a custom program or multiple custom programs.

I got mine from XR7Dave (David Dalke).

David

SCT Flip Chip

David Neibert said:
SCT chips with.....multiple custom programs. I got mine from XR7Dave (David Dalke). David
Ditto what Uncle Dave said!!! The price incudes a ball park tune, (based on your engine components) programed by XR7Dave, AND he will dyno fine tune it for you. You pay for the dyno time (usually $60 - $75), but the fine tune is included in the price. With the Flip Chip, you can switch tunes on the fly.

68COUGAR

Over the last many years absolutly no one has said they had good results with anything but a custom tune. SCT is the dominate chip for our version of the EEC-IV. shops that can tune with Diablo chips claim compatability but I've yet to see anyone with an SC post about their experiennce with one.

Sct

Thanks for the info I will have to look into them, What types of programs are people putting on them?

The programs are typically geared towards getting the biggest dyno numbers possible on the given fuel choice. (usually the highest octane pump gas you can get)

If you want to optimize fuel economy over performance, they can tweak the timing to retard things and let you run a leaner mix and sacrifice performance. The SCT multi tune chips can be switch with a switch from one tune to the other. So you could have one for fuel economy and low octane fuel, then another for racefuel.

Other things people ususally have done, clean up idle, change the engine fan temp settings so they come on earlier so you can install a cooler thermostat. Then also remove speed or rev limiters, or set them higher.

what about the JET CHIP available on summitracing and such? kind of like a plug and play idea it seems. too good to be true?

ben04 said:
...it seems. too good to be true?
It is too good to be true.

Years and years ago, I had a plug-n-play chip. All I got out of it was dentonation which the chip vendor said was either plugs and wires and / or fuel pump. I upgraded / replaced all of the above and still had detonation :rolleyes: Of course, I'm sure vendors probably know more about our cars now, but nothing will beat a custom tune.

I had a Hypertech mail order generic chip...crap just made the car run hotter. I gave it away.

I had an EEC Tuner from Spiro...worked okay but the contacts were flimsy. Programed by Fred H. and Chris Wise

I had a custom Diablo flip chip... worked good until the tuner moved away and went to work for SCT. Programed by Jerry W. and Brian Herron

I've now got a multi channel SCT custom chip and the car has never ran better. Programed by Dave Dalke

David

My car is tuned by Dave Dalke (SCT chip that I bought from him)> Car never ran better!:p and faster!

Hey guys, stop turning this into an advertising post. :p

Randy has one of my chips but he is not happy with it. We were unable to get the performance that he expected due to reasons beyond our control. This happens from time to time and if you own a Supercoupe you will have to expect this to happen to you with various parts, not just chips.

If there is a question here about what a chip can do or what tuning options there are out there I'd be more than happy to help. But if you (or anyone else) is looking for a recommendation on what to buy or where to buy it then I can't help you here on the tech forum.

XR7 Dave said:
Randy has one of my chips but he is not happy with it. We were unable to get the performance that he expected due to reasons beyond our control.

I did not say that I was happy or unhappy with the SCT or the Diablo.
I am unhappy because I cannot get any make chip burnt. When I do
get a chip burnt, its a two PLUS year wait between tunes.

And I have the rwhp & rwtq numbers that I expected to get.

If you are not able to burn your own chip.I would suggest not buying
any brand name chip.

Thanks Randy

That's the company, not necessarily the chip. You have to purchase through an SCT dealer, and the chip won't do you any good without a tune. Estimate around $350 though once you do dyno and have the tuner guy do the labor figure a round $500 price. Give or take.

You can buy the Racer Pack that gets you a chip, equipment and software to burn a program on the chip for your own car. It's not necessarily easy, and it's not inexpensive. (you provide the laptop)

Back