Trouble starting SC

Slydawg316

Yesterday and again today I had problems starting my SC. It started just fine several times prior and then one time went to get in and start it up and all the lights and radio and everything came on but nothing. The brake pedal felt like it was trying to push back at me and then had almost no resistance. Let the car sit for a few minutes and then tried again and it started right up. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? I have been experiencing a problem lately with the emergency brake and anti-lock brake light coming one when the brake pedal is pressed both while standing still as well as while driving. Could these two problems be connected to one another or are they two seperate problems?

Any ideas as to what the problem might be is greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Your brake light/abs light issue is definatley because of a bad brake accumulator. That ball on the back of you master cylinder. Prior remanufacturing sells them for about $100. The accumulator pressurizes the brake fluid in order to send it to you calipers.

Your non-starting issue- Could be a fuel pressure regulator. If you have starting problems again, you might want to put a pressure tester on the schrader vavle on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure. Mine went laster year. It wasn't fun to diagnose.

Good luck.

Fuel Pressure tester

Hey Anthony, where can i get a pressure tester? I don't have starting issues but, my engine will sometimes die when Idling at a stop sign/light like it just ran out of fuel. The motor RPM will sometimes surge up and down while car is moving or idling. I'm guessing it's the regualor since i've already installed a 255LPH fuel pump and new filter in the car.

Brando

Brando B said:
Hey Anthony, where can i get a pressure tester? I don't have starting issues but, my engine will sometimes die when Idling at a stop sign/light like it just ran out of fuel. The motor RPM will sometimes surge up and down while car is moving or idling. I'm guessing it's the regualor since i've already installed a 255LPH fuel pump and new filter in the car.

Brando
Pressure testers are available at any parts store.

Slydawg316 said:
Yesterday and again today I had problems starting my SC. It started just fine several times prior and then one time went to get in and start it up and all the lights and radio and everything came on but nothing. The brake pedal felt like it was trying to push back at me and then had almost no resistance. Let the car sit for a few minutes and then tried again and it started right up. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? I have been experiencing a problem lately with the emergency brake and anti-lock brake light coming one when the brake pedal is pressed both while standing still as well as while driving. Could these two problems be connected to one another or are they two seperate problems?

Any ideas as to what the problem might be is greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "NOTHING"? Does the car crank or not?
I agree about the accumulator. I had the same issue and once I replaced mine the light issue went away.

If the car cranks but doesn’t start, I’d start with the fuel pressure test. Once verified you can move onto electrical.
If the car doesn’t crank, I’d start with the ignition switch or battery connections. Do the lights dim when you try to crank it?

When I say it does "Nothing" I mean when I push the brake pedal in and turn the key, the lights all come on but the engine does NOT crank at all. No clicking, no attempts to turn over....NOTHING. I do have to replace the battery as it is about time for that to be replaced. Now the ignition switch you are referring to..exactly where is it located at? Would either one of those problems cause the brake pedal to feel like it has no resistance when I press it in to start the vehicle? It has only done this 3 times in the past 4 months and until the other day it hasn't happened more then once at a time. The other day it did it to me 2 times in row yet today when I went out and got in to come to work it started right up on the first try.

How hard is the brake accumulator to replace? And if I were to get an accumulator how much would someone charge to help me get it installed?

Thanks again for everyone's advice on what might be causing my problems. It is greatly appreciated and I keep learning more and more about my car with each post and question asked and answered.

Thanks!!!!!

What year SC?

The brake system accumulator is only found on the '89-'92 (maybe '93) SC's with the Teves Mark II ABS. Later models have the Teves Mark IV that uses a manifold vacuum type setup. Before you invest in an accumulator, assuming you have a Teves Mark II, does (or did) the ABS and BRAKE warning lights on the instrument panel flash on-then-off when you applied the brakes? If not, you don't have a problem with the accumulator. It sounds more like you have a problem with either the ignition switch (the box inside the steering column with the big connector plugged into it), or the starter relay located under the hood.

Back