U/D pulley+Alternator help

X

xThunderbirdSCx

Hey Guys. im running a set of underdrive pulleys (CS, WP, and Alt) but i cant use the alternator pulley for various reasons. Ive been running the alternator with the stock pulley for a couple weeks now (so im using 2 out of 3 pulleys). I went to get my alt. checked at auto zone and they said its putting out 15 volts, which i hear is too high. Whats the deal, and can i run it like this for long?

From my understanding if you do not use the "alternator underdrive pulley" it should not affect anything. I have it that way on mine, I had it that way on my 93 for 8 years....never had a issue. Does the voltage spike at all or is it constant at 15 volts? Most cars run right aroud 14.5 volts.

We can check it with my DVOM when you come over.

I did accidently ground out the power wire in the back when i was working on it because i forgot to remove a battey cable, so it touched metal and sparked. I thought it may have damaged something, but the guy at auto zone said everything checked out fine except the alt is running at a consistent 15ish(14.8-15.2 depending on rpm)

xThunderbirdSCx said:
I did accidently ground out the power wire in the back when i was working on it because i forgot to remove a battey cable, so it touched metal and sparked. I thought it may have damaged something, but the guy at auto zone said everything checked out fine except the alt is running at a consistent 15ish(14.8-15.2 depending on rpm)

That seems normal man...don't worry about it.

Can I ask what the various reasons for not running it are? Just curious...

Also, I'm about to put the belt on all 3 pullies, and I didn't think about belt length... Do I require a longer belt???

i lost the pulley on the road one day, i forgot to put the nut on one time and :eek: :eek: . I found it, but it was battered and useless.

And no, the belt doesnt need changed.

sizemoremk said:
Can I ask what the various reasons for not running it are? Just curious...

Also, I'm about to put the belt on all 3 pullies, and I didn't think about belt length... Do I require a longer belt???

Belt length was not a issue for me although it is very close...I took mine off because at idle when it was night time the lights were dim and I didnt like that.

Back