leaking clutch fluid lines

Rick Mink

well, as the tittle states, the line from the cluch master cylinder to the slave cylinder is leaking. I just installed the tranny and this is the last thing I have to do before I can take the car off the jack stands. The fluid is coming from where the cluch line and slave meet. I see fluid seeping down the side of the transmission and collecting in an annoying pool under the car. What did I miss when I re-installed the line?? It's been a few years since I took the whole thing apart so I dont discount anything. Can I get a new line?? Where would I get one??

Rick

O-ring?
clutchfittingline.jpg

Did it seat all the way into the fitting?
slavefitting.jpg

the o-ring is there. how far in does the fitting go?? It goes in but there is quite a bit that sticks out as well. now I cant get the dmn line off again. grrr. what is the opening on the clutch line supposed to look like?? not the slave coupling.

Rick

Ditch the stock line and throw a -4AN Stainless braid line in there. However, you will have to get an adapter to go from the master to the line and back into the slave. It's what I've done... although this means that you have to have the transmission on the ground in order to get the roll pin out of the slave cylinder.

The adapter isn't available anywhere though, I had a buddy with a CNC lathe fire me off a couple.

It needs to go in far enough that you can't remove it by yanking on it anymore. The tines in the coupler hold against the machined lip of the fitting.

I need a replacement line and obviously using the steel braided hose with an adaptor solution won't work for me cause I don't have a buddy with a CNC machine...

Now I've read that a Ford Ranger one can be used but you need to heat the line up and reshape it to get it to fit. Any idea what year that ranger would be?

Frit

I'm not sure, but someone needs to figure something out. I bought a brand new one from Ford while they were still available because my old one leaked. But I'm nervous that I may damage the new fitting when I swap in my ;95 model trans..

Jeramie

88 through mid 90's rangers with the same 5 speed trans should work (basically the same, though tail housing is different)

Mike, FastEd is looking into this, but he needs more specifics like engine size etc, there is alot of different part numbers for these.

Frit

Back