Need help getting part name

D

djrando

I got a question need help with i have a 1996 Thunderbird V8 and yesterday when i was trying to fix a coolant leak, i found out that i have a crack where the thermostat sits in, it look to me that this part cover the entire top of the engine witch freaks me out. two questions: is this part called the thermostat housing if not what is it called and second what does the part cost to buy and get replaced cause i dont think i can do it my self? thanks for the help.

Dave
drando@socal.rr.com

djrando said:
how can i find out?

You can also go to Autozone.com and put in your vehicle info then check for recalls. The 4.6 in the 96-97 Birds had a problem with intakes leaking all togehter. The OE was all plastic and in time the water jackets would crack. Some of them were recalled but for the ones that were there is an aftermarket intake that I believe sells for around $200 that has aluminum water jackets. Someone over on TCCOA should be able to help you better. I've seen the intakes on ebay before but not sure if they are the good aftermarket of a cheesy immitation. You should be able to change it yourself in a couple of hours if that turns out to be the problem. I used to own a 96 v6 that I converted to a v8. My v8 had 48K miles on it when my intake went. Unfortunately because my cars vin was for a v6 Ford refused the recall and I ended up paying for it. I think it was right around $300 for the intake and gaskets and I did the work in under a six pack of beer. Hope this helps.

Or you can do a search on TCCoA for Jason Jobe and step up to the new style. He will be able to sell you a replacement maniflod that is the new style and (I could be wrong) with the aluminum crossover to eliminate the problem completely.

Chris

As far as I know the factory and aftermarket replacements have all gone to the aluminum for the coolant crossover.

Do yourself a favor and put a PI intake on it with an aluminum crossover. You will have to drill the crossover for a sensor but it'll be worth it.
Alan

Back