Stock intercooler efficiency?

jre97

How efficient is a stock intercooler and how well does it flow? I'm thinking of using one on a non intercooled turbo car so that i can increase the boost levels above safe non-intercooled limits. My friend has one laying around off of my old xr-7 and I would like to try to use it since the price is right.

an intercooler will actually drop your boost psi, but your incoming air will be cooler, therefore denser, and denser is better.
Also your egt's will be lower, and you won't melt your turbo.
When it comes to ic's bigger is better.

I think what he means is at what power level does the stock SC intercooler become inefficient. For example, what horsepower level do most SC owners get to before they feel the need to upgrade to a better intercooler?
To satisfy my own curiosity, does anybody have any flow #'s for the stock ic?
If I could find some boost pressure/cfm/pressure drop figures, I could probably come up with a reasonable estimate.
Thanks,
Tony

I don't think the turbo will melt. The pistons however will. Tony is right that is what I was looking for. I was just curious if anyone had any numbers or comparisons. For example I nkow that a stock eagle talon ic flows good and is pretty efficient for only having 1 7/8" inlets and outlets. The guys on turbo-mopar say that the supercoupe cooler flows slightly better that a dodge T2 cooler, but I haven't seen any numbers.

No it's just that the pistons will start to go long before the turbo. At 14-15psi You need to start adding extra fuel or else detonation will occur and a stock dodge intercooler will run up to and probably more than 20 psi but it's restrictive and you'll lose 4-5 psi after the cooler. I just assumed that since I formerly owned an xr-7 and used to frequent this board that someone would have information like a flow bench test. Or would know at what hp range these ic's start to become a cork? What king of boost psi drop is there after the intercooler?

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
I'm assuming that the non-melted turbo, is from the cooler exhaust temps?

68COUGAR
yes it would be, but jre97 is right, the pistons would go 1st. It was late, I'd had a few adult beverages, give a guy a break. lol

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
good up to 400 or so CFM
Is that all? Man I figured with the size of the inlets and outlets and core it would be up there a good bit more.

I had mine off & run my shop vac into it to see if the (blower end) vac flow changed, it did rev up a little it was just a "lets see what happens" test.

Back