AOD Storage

fturner

I'm going to be swapping in a 5spd into my car but I'm going to hold onto the AOD as it runs great, no slipping, firm shifts and so on.

Since I know there will be a day that my old knees are not gonna handle the clutch to well, I'll be swapping the AOD back in at that time. What I like to know is what is the best thing to do to prep the AOD for storage so seals etc don't dry up and so on.

Any ideas?

Frit

keep it lubricated real good... spray it down with wd-40 on the outside to prevent any moisture... and keep it filled with clean atf fluid...

Now should I over fill it to ensure everything is covered inside. I was thinking maybe even running the lucas stuff in it say 50 miles before I take it out.... think that would help?

The tranny could sit for a couple of years at least.

Frit

Good question. I'd contact a transmission shop for the answer if no one here pipes up. I was told by a shop to make sure to start the car up and run it through the gears each month of winter storage or the seals dry up a bit.

The prob is the tranny won't be in the car, I'll be storing it on a pallet in my garage, so other than turning the torque convertor over a few times or rig up my drill to turn it over its not going to be easy to run it.

I'm beginning to think I'd probably have to have it rebuilt when I go to use it again, so maybe I should sell it, and when the day comes to put an AOD back in then buy a rebuilt one at that time.

Frit

nah you wont have to sell it.. just keep it properly lubricated and moisture free and you should be okay... i have a whole bunch of trannies in my garage with nothing to worry about... so i know what ur talking about..

You think the shrink wrap is funny, but I have an AOD in my storage shed right now that is cling wrapped cocoon style. :) Other than something internal sticking, it should be sealed up pretty good. Lets hope anyway as I need to install it in a few weeks.....

7birdslater said:
You think the shrink wrap is funny, but I have an AOD in my storage shed right now that is cling wrapped cocoon style. :) Other than something internal sticking, it should be sealed up pretty good. Lets hope anyway as I need to install it in a few weeks.....

Keep me posted on how the tranny is when you pull it out....... and I was slightly joking about the shrink wrap ;).

Frit

I got an Idea!!

You can store it in my t-bird my aod is a little tired, so I be a good guy and volenteer to babysit it for you!:D :p :) :D

darriantbird said:
You can store it in my t-bird my aod is a little tired, so I be a good guy and volenteer to babysit it for you!:D :p :) :D

:eek: I don't need it to be all growd up dat fast!

Frit

Back