Tube from valve cover to intake duct

nick62087

Hey everyone,

Ya know that little tube that goes from the intake duct to the valve cover? What exactly is that for? The reason i ask is because i am making a CAI and it would be slightly easier to just not hook that little tube back up, since i'd have to get some type of fitting and make a hole in my new intake pipe. So my question is, what would happen if i just plugged it? ...or what if i bought one of those little k&n filters to go on the end of it?
I assume the purpose of that little tube is to let the air inside the engine breathe/flow, but im not sure
Any imput or suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick:confused:

As long as you have filtered air going into the valve cover you will be fine. The PCV pulls air out of the crankcase thus the need for the breather is nessary.

You definitely don't want to plug it off & yes, you can use one of those very small K&N's. I did that for a while and then drilled and put a connector on my old MN12 FAI pipe. I heard that by-passing like that interferred with the metered air going through the MAF, but I never felt any difference.

Thanks for the imput.

Thats a very good point about interfereing with the maf. Theoretically, removing it will increase the amount of air going into the engine, which would not be compensated for my the maf. I'm waiting for the mailman to bring my intake pipe, ill let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Nick

If you decide to attach the pcv line to your FAI like stock, then I just drilled a hole and super-glued in a rubber grommet. I then put a small plastic vacuum elbow on the existing rubber pcv hose and pushed it into the grommeted hole. Whatever you do, just make sure there is nothing that could accidentally get sucked into the FAI, TB and Blower, like a nut or something.

Back