differences 89-93

FastBird91

Besides the taillight differences between the 89'-93' SC's are there any other differences, specifically the mechanics and performances of these years. In another words is the 93' actually better than prior SC's?

92+ better spindles (more brake upgrades)
93+ Better Abs system
91+ i think bigger maf
91+ softer swaybars (89-90 are the best)
92+ better exhaust routing ( different gas tank)
93 different instrument cluster
91+ no storage tray in the dash
90+ no boost solenoid
93+ no cornering lamps ( not sure of this one)

Whats different about the instrument clusteron the 93' oppose to the 92' and back?
Also what do you mean about no cornering lamps on the 91"?
Thanks

the bezels on the instrument clusters are gray on the early years and i believe black on the 93,gauges are the same.

If you look at the speedo, my 89 has 60mph straight up and my 93 has 65mph straight up. Only the 93 models are this way. I only noticed it when I put White face gauges in it.

turbospeed said:
92+ better spindles (more brake upgrades)

Ford Changed the spindles in '93, not '92 and with that, they also changed the brake/ABS system.

The '93 model year was also the lightest of all the production years.

As far as performance, there was no internal difference between the motors, superchargers, etc. Those changes all came in the '94-'95 model years.

So basically there's really nothing that changed performance-wise for those years. Mainly it was cosmetic/functionality differences that improved either the looks, maintenance or functionality of the car. Kind of redundant there, but you get the point. My personal choice is the '92/'93 model years because of the looks (trunk) and exhaust routing.

007_SuperCoupe said:
Ford Changed the spindles in '93, not '92 and with that, they also changed the brake/ABS system.

Good catch. I know I read that more than once to make sure it was right:rolleyes:

007_SuperCoupe said:

As far as performance, there was no internal difference between the motors, superchargers, etc. Those changes all came in the '94-'95 model years.

So basically there's really nothing that changed performance-wise for those years. Mainly it was cosmetic/functionality differences that improved either the looks, maintenance or functionality of the car. Kind of redundant there, but you get the point. My personal choice is the '92/'93 model years because of the looks (trunk) and exhaust routing.

Sam: Somewhere here I read that the 89 had a slightly more aggressive cam. Is that possible?

Ken

93+ has the different wheels ....

675314_116_full.jpg

like this

kenewagner said:
Sam: Somewhere here I read that the 89 had a slightly more aggressive cam. Is that possible?

Ken

yes, but I think every year and transmission type had a different cam. From what I've heard through talking with other members is that the stock '89 5-speed is the best cam for both stock applications and for regrinds. I don't know about that as my experience has been that my '92 outperfomed my '89 from the day I had it. The '89 was slightly modified and the '92 was stock and still ran .2 faster than the '89...not sure if it had to do with the cam or something else. Probably something else, but all I know is that the '92 was and still is considerably faster than the '89 ever was.

Back