94 engine in 89 SC

repoman27

Hey guys, I found a local engine for my 89 SC. The thing Im not sure about is whether or not it would be a direct swap or a wiring nightmare. The donor engine is out of a 94 SC auto and I want to put it in my 89 SC 5spd. Please inform me of anything I may need to look for. This engine is a good running engine with 81K miles for $650.00. Is there anything I need to look at on the engine or things I should pay attention too? The engine is no longer in the car but it was ran and had good even compression accross the board. I have a friend at a local salvage yard and he tipped me off that this engine will be listed into invertory by midweek and then the price may be higher depending on demand and availability. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

This one is probably best left to the guys that really know what they're talking about, but

It shouldnt be that hard since they're basically teh same engine, except for the maf and injectors were different on the 94. If you had one of those c&l mafs and you used the correct sampling tube for the 94 injectors, it should, in theory, all work good witht the origional wiring harness.

but, im not completely sure.

-Nick

You may need to swap some of your 89 parts over to the 94 engine, unless you get the 94 EEC. Like mentioned above, the 94 has different size Injectors, also Different Harmonic Balancer, and a different Camshaft, among other things.

- Dan

Back