Need stats on a 1986 Daytona Iroc Z. (turbo)

91BLOWNSC

Need stats on a 1986 Daytona Iroc Z. (turbo)

I need to know the horsepower/torque and 1/4 mile times of this specific year. Anyone have any idea? Anything else you might know you can add to. Thanks ahead of time!

Re: Need stats on a 1986 Daytona Iroc Z. (turbo)

Is it an auto or a manual?

Either way, if it's an '86, then the car's title is, "Daytona Turbo Z"....no Iroc stuff yet.

Back in '86 they just had the turbo I on the Daytona's. 2.2L, non intercooled turbo cranking out 142HP w/ 8-9psi of boost. Nothing to really do flips over, but decent power for '86.

I"m fairly confident that in manual form the car runs 16's at best. Probably a lot slower in the auto.

In '86 the Turbo Z's had an optional "CS" package though. It stood for "Competition Series". The extra option included performance gas shocks/struts, thicker 32mm sway bar up front (27mm stock), solid 28mm sway bar in back, different style 6.5 inch wide wheels w/ 225 50 15's, and a 220lb weight reduction.

Since '86 was the first year for the CS package it might make it worth a little more and a slightly better performer. They are hard to identify from regular Turbo Z's though.......they just had small "CS" badges on the front fenders behind the wheel well.

If you want a performance Daytona you should look more at the 87-90's w the Turbo II motor. They came intercooled (more potential) and 174HP stock. There you can get your 15/14 second car.

Micah

I didn't have a daytona, but...

I did have a 1987 Chrysler LeBaron GTS Turbo I. The engine made 146hp and 176lb ft of torque. For a 2.2L OHC 8valve engine this was pretty good for crude multipoint fuel injection developed in 1984. Also there was no intercooler, lots of HOT boost getting blown on the engine.

It was pretty quick and I remember reading that the Lebaron did about a 16.5 et in the 1/4mile. It definatly gave Brisk acceleration but it wasn't a muscle car.

Mine was a manual trans, talk about notchy shifting. The clutch was a cable clutch and pushing it to the floor was like holding open the gates to hell.

It was good car with alot of features, it was just very unrefined.

Re: I didn't have a daytona, but...

Acually Micah THE performance Daytona is the Daytona Charger LOL....( with big wing included) Acually for late model Daytonas, the 92-93?? Iroc-Daytona with turbo, and 224HP I believe. they are rare and worth alot from what I have seen

Damn I didn't even know that they made Daytona Iroc Z. with 220 hp engines here's the info:
"It produces 224hp at 6000rpm and 217lb-ft of torque at a low 2800rpm. Drop this into a car weighing approx. 2900lbs and you know the kind of performance you'll get! 6.0s to 60mph and top speed of 150mph"
"1992: 250 Daytona R/T's produced 97.2% federal, 2.8% high-altitude
For 1993, there were 181 Daytona's produced."

Stas.

yeah

yeah I think your right. It is just a turbo Z. And its a manual. The kid always wants to race me.....I wasnt' scared at all I kinda new i would whoop his @$$. ;)

Re: yeah

if its an early 90 Iroc, it'll roast you :D , those things can take on 5.0s, imagine what a little tweaking with the boost will do. Masseratti(spelling) head, inter-cooled etc

umm

He wouldn't even know what a waste gate is.:) Not to mention he totaled it last night.

I had an 86

I had the 86' CS "Carrol Shelby" edition, it was a 2.2 liter and a 5spd. They have a little potential, I had a cam and head makeover, and header with clear exh. Wastegate was wide open...No boost gauge, so no real idea of how much it made...Stock it was at 180hp...They could be off a bit with the stock numbers...I would guess that it made 230 after mods, that is a very safe guess...It had no chance against the 5.0 stangs, and when I stepped out of it and into an SC I had a pretty big smile on my face...

Real quick though...Another similar breed out there is the Mitsubishi Conquest TSi, fitted w/the 2.2 liter turbo...Same engine dialed in very nicley...I raced this cat in my SC and thought I would
P!SS all over him, but he was tough to shke man..Those cars are quite a challenge to a stock SC...

Cheers

Re: I had an 86

The heads were lotus.....not maseratti. The Chrysler TC was the Maseratti.......if you want to call it that. The Conquest had a Mitz 2.6L 8V SOHC turbo. Made about 178HP stock and heads always cracked before 100K. So if the one you raced had a 2.2 then it was a motor swap.

No Turbo 1 2.2L Mopar (i.e. '86) could whoop a 5.0L unless it was in an Omni. I think about the best you could do with one in a Daytona is high 14's. And that is not enough to "Whoop" a 5.0L. YOu may beat a few of them, but I wouldn't change your Login to "5.0_Killer".

Micah

the best you could do with one in a Daytona is high 14's. And that is not enough to "Whoop" a 5.0L. YOu may beat a few of them, but I wouldn't change your Login to "5.0_Killer".

maybe he ran against that one 89-91 5.0 GT in my sig pic..... that sucker only ran a 16.8 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had an 85 Dodge Lancer ES with Turbo engine. Very quick with a top speed of 125. But I tell you what, Robert Downey Jr. must have been head of quality control because that thing was literally falling apart. Busted window regulator(3), blown turbo(2)(my fault), Busted seat rack(cracked at bolt hole, had a milk crate keeping me from reclining when the light turned green), transmissions(4), Caught fire(2), timing belt(3),busted shifter cable, head gasket, injectors, sunroof seal, digital dash, etc. I paid all that money in 90-92 (2500-2700 in repairs alone) just to have it repo'ed and you can find them on the street now for $250 bucks.

I have been wrong all this time...

Damn,
my bust...Conquest TSiwas fitted with the 2.6, I have been wrong on this one for a very LONG time now...LOL...

Cheers

Funny thing that all the cars mentioned in this thread are the ones I was looking for back then(early 90's) because I couldn't afford an SC. Conquest/Starions were really cool looking but the motors were junk after so many miles. Daytonas were sexy but got smoked by Stangs and Irocs. I liked the Shelby CSX's couldn't afford those either when they came out. Now the Olds Cutlass Calais IS seemed like a serious machine with Quad 4 but just like all GM products, they don't sweat the details. Wouldn't mind getting a used Probe turbo though. That didn't seem to be a headache at all. Maybe when I get the heads done on the SC...We'll see.

Back