Magnaflow (CarSound) Cats

LJGriggs

I need to replace my catalytic converters (still running on the stock setup) and I was wondering if the Magnaflow units for the '89-'90 TBird will fit my '92SC. The part numbers are 23393 and 23394
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/directfitpart.aspx?PartID=161

Has anyone tried these? Did they require any modification? If these won't work, what is the best solution for replacing the driver's side that has the downtube built into the cat (stupid design). The passenger side looks like there is enough pipe to cut off and splice in a replacement...

I put a set on an 89 and they were a direct fit.....

You will have to cut the O2 sensor off the existing passenger side exhaust and weld it to the new exhaust, or you could buy a bung and weld it on.....

If you have the tools, now would be a good time to port the exhaust manifolds.....

Thanks!!!

I appreciate the feedback. I figured they would work because they are listed as a direct replacement for the '89-'90 TBirds and there isn't any significant difference between those and a '92.

We "re-located" the O2 sensor just a little bit to make it easier to install after the exhaust was done....:eek:

i personally would stay away from them. I know because I bought two of them for my custom exhaust system not even a month after the install the inside of one of the cats broken and started rattling then it stopped but I was going to replace that cat but never got a chance because it clogged up and blew my damn headgasket

x182dan...

OK, I appreciate the heads-up from your experience with these. I guess that leads to the following questions... Do you think the defective cat was an isolated incident, or is there a more widespread problem with the quality of the Catco units? If I go a different route, are there any "off-the-shelf" downtubes available that fit between our exhaust manifolds and the cats, or would I need to get them custom bent by a muffler shop?
BTW, before the Catco setup crapped out, how was the fitment? Any issues with clearance around the tranny? (I have an AOD in my '92) Do the pipes match up to a Magnaflow dual-in single-out resonator without additional bending?

We matched up the magna flow cats to a flowmaster resonator......

We had to cut about a foot off the cats to get them to fit, as per their instructions......

I've got the Magnaflow cats as well and they have served me well. I know another SC guy running the same cats and hasn't had any problems.

-Melon

Back