Is polishing really worth the effort?

Dahoopd

I have seen in many posts the endless polishing efforts by many. I have started to polish myself, but have realized the time it will take later to maintain. Have any of you really wished you didnt go polished. I saw in a post (Dave N) there is an SC and all attached polished. (prior to the AR). Is this worth it.

I like the look but is it adding major labor later.

My raised top, MAF, upper IC tube and double IC are all polished. Yeah they do require maintenance but to me its totally worth it. But I think I'm going to spend the extra $ and get them chromed, except the IC of course.
The only time I'd say its really not worth it is if you drive your SC a lot and in the winter. Then the engine would get dirty in a hurry and you'd be spending a lot more time keeping things clean than if you just drove it in the summer or on weekends.

Polished Alternator vs. Polished Block

Some Ricer once told me that a polished alternator was worth 50 hp. Daaaamn, I'd sure like to meet HIS polish guy!!!! :rolleyes: I'll bet a polished BLOCK would add at least 1000 hp!!!!! :eek:

68COUGAR

Dahoopd said:
I have seen in many posts the endless polishing efforts by many. I have started to polish myself, but have realized the time it will take later to maintain. Have any of you really wished you didnt go polished. I saw in a post (Dave N) there is an SC and all attached polished. (prior to the AR). Is this worth it.

I like the look but is it adding major labor later.

It's a major pain to keep it looking nice, especially when the motor gets taken apart as much as mine. I've currently got a mix of chrome, polished aluminum, bare aluminum, black painted and black powdercoated, with red accents. I'm starting to like it better than having everything polished.

IMO, The chrome stuff is much easier to keep looking nice.

David

PS: If you want to see a great example of bling bling under the hood...take a look at George Davenport's SC. Mine looks like a pile of crap compared to his car.

Last edited:
Polishing is worthwhile if you spend a lot of time looking at whatever you polished. I polish my wheels because I see them every time I look at my car. Under the hood? Forgedaboudit! lol Keep it clean though!

Chrome is much easier to keep clean. There are clear coating out there for polished alum that keep it look like new and make it easier to keep clean. I love the bling under the hood. I have never gone to a club meeting or weekend car show and not seen everyone looking under the hood of each other's cars.

Ken

68COUGAR said:
Some Ricer once told me that a polished alternator was worth 50 hp. Daaaamn, I'd sure like to meet HIS polish guy!!!! :rolleyes: I'll bet a polished BLOCK would add at least 1000 hp!!!!! :eek:

68COUGAR

Polish, not polish!!! It's from Poland, and we all know them Poles make some serious advanced tech!!!

George's car is my favorite but I like this one, too.

Attachments

• sc_shootout#6_3.jpg
    sc_shootout#6_3.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 121
Nettlesd said:
George's car is my favorite but I like this one, too.

Now thats what I am talking about. Thats sweet, makes it all worth while. The tubes and top look like they have been chromed.

That's Duane's car and it's also one of the best looking you will see in the club. Tony Serno's car is another that deserves to be mentioned.

There will be lots of very nice looking SCs at World Ford Challenge this coming weekend.

David

I polished my upper & lower IC tubes, raised top, & intake adapter by hand. The only work in keeping it all shiny is to break out the Mother's Billet polish occasionally & rub it down. I will eventually get everything chromed, other than the blower & IC. My car isn't a daily driver, & I enter it in a lot of shows each summer. I have no regrets because I really like the look. But I'm an old gearhead from the 70's. It aint cool if it doesn't shine!

Attachments

• Dsc_0009.jpg
    Dsc_0009.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 73
i had all my stuff polished and gave up on it i painted it all grey . tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch work

POWEDERCOAT!..Too much polish/chrome is no good..And to much paint is no good..There is a happy compramise..Just think before you polish

I have a polished set of stock SC rims and I would never get another set. I don't have the time to keep up with aluminums oxidizing every 20 minutes! Next set will be painted or chrome.:cool:
Eric

gonna zoop seal my wheels once I get a free momement. supposed to work pretty good to prevent the aluminum from oxidizing and keep the shine lasting. That's the issue with Aluminum... it's a chemical reaction with the oxygen in the air reacting with the aluminum.

Powder coat will last longer than a clear coat.

Back