Replacement Speakers and Sub

TBIRD-SC

I have had my 94 SC for less than a week and the Sub I know is shot, I plan on keeping the head unit and JBL amp for now. My question how the heck do you pull the speakers in the doors. I wanted to ask before I go ripping into this and damage something. If anyone has replaced all of the speakers let me know what sizes will fi and where.

Thank you very much for any info you can give me

there is a screw up to the right where the mirrors are then there is a screw at the bottom left of the door to the panels just slide up the stock speakers in the car are 6x8 but I managed to get 6.5" speakers to fit in there no problem and they sound great.

Hope that helped

Oh yah the ones in the back should be 6x8 to I never replaced those yet they still work good.

depends u know what the 94 may be diff in my 91 sc they are only 6x8 and thats stock I never knew they even had 5x7

5x7 vs. 6x8

5x7 is a standard speaker size. 6x8 is something that Ford started. Back in the 70's Fords had 6x9 speakers in the rear deck. I think Ford started the whole 6x8 thing, to reduce the width of the rear package tray. Also putting (good) 6x9's in doors requires a DEEP door. 6x8's require less depth, which means that thinner doors can be made, which saves weight.

The JBL sub is a mono 6" driver, so you can upgrade the JBL driver with something more robust. I bought a JL (might as well go with the best) 6" subwoofer ($75 on sale) & installed it in the JBL sub box. Since the JL driver is deeper than the JBL, I had to modify the box a little. The sub box has legs that stick up inside the box. These legs support the magnet of the JBL driver. If my memory is correct, the JL driver is 3/8" deeper than the JBL. So I had to cut 3/8" off the legs. The box & legs are fiberglass, so they cut easily with a hacksaw blade.

Since I was already inside the sub box, I added some extra features. I installed a set of input terminals on the outside of the box, & a DPDT switch. This gives me the option of using a different sub amp, & switching between the JBL & external amp. There is enough room inside the box, that you could install a Low Pass Filter (LPF) of your choice.

Also there is a large foam plug in the output port of the sub box. You can experiment with using it, or removing it. Personally, I found that I liked the sound best w/o the foam plug in place.

With the heavy duty JL driver, I also found that I had to glue the rear package tray carpet, to the rear package tray. Without glueing it, the carpet flopped up & down with the movement of the sub.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
I know for a fact that my 91 T-bird sc had 6x8's stock in the front and the rear
that was the stock upgraded stereo with 2 amps in the back with a 6" sub

i dont know what size my 94 had stock, i threw those out.

i took pieces of 1/2" mdf and cut the holes for my Polk 5.25" components. I have them hooked up to an alpine amp and it sounds sweeet. It was pretty easy to do too. The plastic pods that the stock speakers were in seemed to flimsy for me.

if i get a chance ill post some pics

-Nick

I have not even looked at the sub and amp yet the sub on mine is blown so I am currently looking for a 6" sub to replace it since no where in Ontario sells 6" guess I need ot start going to auto wreckers lol

i bougth a elcheapo one from ebay @12 bucks , sounds kinda like the stock JBL. mine was blown so it was an improvement.

Heres some pics of my door speakers

100_0801.jpg

100_0799.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0802.jpg

I just took the door panels off, theres only 2 screws that hold them on, and unscrewed the factory speakers and plasic pods. I cut pieces of mdf to cover teh holes, then i cut the holes for the speakers. Then i dynamatted the entire door. I didn't use 'dynamat', i used 'peel & seal' from the roofing section at Lowes, much cheaper. After that, i installed the speakers. I used a hole saw in a cordless drill to make the holes in the speaker grates. It was a pain, and i scratched the passenger side, but it worked. I stuck the crossover in one of the contours of the door panel, where the styrofoam would go. I also ran new wires through the doors, to an alpine amp (which will someday be nicely installed under the pasenger seat.)
It sounds sweeet.
Good luck with your setup.
-Nick

6" JL Sub

Just get the 6" JL sub & never worry about it again. The JL will give you enough bass to pound your brain into mush!!!

68COUGAR

6" Jl

I wil have to look for one on the web, I think you said they where around $75 thanks for the info everyone and nick great job on those door speakers :D

Back