"BATT" Light question

Lugen

Hi,
The RED Batt light has been coming on and going off lately. When I put the key in and turn it once ALL the Lights come on fine. When I start it they all operate normally. After A while the "Battery " Light comes on then will go off then come back on. I did the wiggle test to see if there is a break at the ALT. It does not flicker it is steady. I also took off the Battery cable while running and NO Battery light will come on. I also disconnected the 2 wire plug on top to see if the light would come on and it doesn't. The only thing I did not do was try it while the light was on to see what condition it would or would not show, Light on or off.
Wondering if its the ALT going or battery, Or a Short.The battery is a year old Alt OEM 1990 :(
Lee

You need to get a voltmeter and check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine idling. Should be not less than 13V, and not more than 14.5 V.

battery light

I had the same problem, take altenator off car and have it bench tested at your local autozone. Even though it still charging it may have a bad diode like mine did. good luck!

Voltage

Hi,
Got the Voltmeter on it today and at IDLE it was 14.0 at the battery. I also measured at the connector and at idle it was 14.9.
THe wiring to the dummy light seems fine as I unplug it when KO the light goes out and back on when I connect.
Any takers voltage too high or should I remove it and get it bench tested?
Lee

i am also having battery probs, my battery died the other day (year old), the battery was totally gone, would not even charge up again. after putting a new battery in so i can get home, i hooked up a voltometer to the battery and it was being overcharged, just in the red zone 15-16v. now every now and then as i am driving the car wants to just shut down and did so once as i was criusing in a parking lot looking for a spot, i was able to start it back up shortly after though. oh i also don't get a battery light. is replacing an alternator pretty straight foward?

i just got back from vacation, lets see if she'll run

14.9 at the terminals sounds a tad high.. 14 someting across the terminals should be OK. If you suspect the voltage is too high, you should pop the caps off the battery (carefully of course) and look to see if the electrolyte is being boiled off.

The voltage regulator is part of the alternator. If, when you rev it slightly, the voltage goes way up, I'd take the alternator in and have it tested. You guys know about the hidden bolt under the coil pack, right? And you know about those 2 bolts holding the coil pack on always fall into the engine compartment whenever you try to remove them right? rags and paper towels under things will perserve your sanity.;)

Back