Supercharger Snout Coupler, Plastic Interface?

Digitalchaos

While researching rebuilding the snout, I have come across a part described as a 'plastic interface' or plastic interface assembly.. and am trying to determine what this part is.

Is this part the same as the coupler?

If not, what is it? Any pics you can provide would also be appreciated.

Also, I understand the stock unit uses a nylon bump and a metal spring, what function do these pieces serve?

Thanks everyone!

Educated Guess

I may be wrong here ... I believe the spring serves as type of shock absorber between the rotor/gear assembly and the input shaft to the coupler. The drawback is a slight delay in the response of the SC. I've read threads regarding the solid couplers stating they provide a fasther response time.

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong:rolleyes: and that is fine by me ... how else will I learn

I think what your talking about is the peice that was changed in 90 or 91. The differance being that before the SC made quite a bit of noise sitting at idle. They added the spring and it took the "slack" out of the coupler (probably wrong part on my part) and the noise went away.

93SC said:
I think what your talking about is the peice that was changed in 90 or 91. The differance being that before the SC made quite a bit of noise sitting at idle. They added the spring and it took the "slack" out of the coupler (probably wrong part on my part) and the noise went away.

I have had a 89, 90, 93, 94, and 95 blower apart and all came with the same spring type coupler. I have Tbird88s solid coupler and it's a quality piece, but if you have any bearing noise it will be amplified. I have rebuilt 4 M90s and have went back to using the stock spring type coupler. The spring takes some shock off the rotors and the coupler has a orange rubber coating on one side to isolate noise. The stock coupler makes for a quiet rebuild since I reuse the existing rotors and can only change the snout bearings and the rear case roller bearings. A lot of people install the stock coupler incorrectly, when you turn the pulley there should be no slack back and forth except when you overcome the spring load.

Jerry

Back