problems with kooks headers

sd_iconoclast

I bought the kooks mid length headers a couple years ago and I have just now installed them on my rebuilt engine. It appeats that the flanges that bolt to the head are too thin. I bolt them down and I get exhaust leaks mid way between the bolts. I have torqued the bolts from the inside out, and I have also tried using generous amounts of copper kote gasket sealer. No luck. Major exhaust leaks. Anyone have the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

sd_iconoclast said:
I bought the kooks mid length headers a couple years ago and I have just now installed them on my rebuilt engine. It appeats that the flanges that bolt to the head are too thin. I bolt them down and I get exhaust leaks mid way between the bolts. I have torqued the bolts from the inside out, and I have also tried using generous amounts of copper kote gasket sealer. No luck. Major exhaust leaks. Anyone have the same problem? Anyone have a solution?
Are you installing them with gaskets? I have found that the only way they seal properly for any length of time is to make a custom gasket using asbestos (ya, I know) sheet.

Paul

Paul,
Good to hear from you!
Where do I get one of these asbestos sheets?
Do I need a certain thickness?
What I have been doing is taking the felpro gasket and applying successive coats of copper kote to both sides.
Should I apply the copper Kote also?

Take the felpro gaskets and smear both sides (exhaust port area only) with a thin layer (1/16" thick) of Permatex Copper RTV (orange) and after tightening the bolts down, allow to dry overnight....you won't have anymore leaks at the head.

David

And get locking header bolts. My experience has alway sbeen leaks at teh collectors with the mid lenght kooks. Flanges on mine are pretty thick

Back