Detailing business question (Dan)?

O

OneSweet89SC

Detailing business question (Dan)?

I'm a college student back home for summer, and I've had some friends parents offering my around $100 each to detail their cars since they have seen how good mine always looks. I am obviously going to do it, but I want to make sure they get their money's worth. What does a $100 detailing job include? I've got all the stuff to do the job right, I'm just curious as to how much of it will be used. Thanks.

Rich

Sig.jpg

Re: Detailing business question (Dan)?

im pretty sure it means washing/waxing the whole car, vaccuming and cleaning the carpet, cleaning and conditioning the leather (if applicable) and maybe a few otehr things, like armor alling the dash and vinyl parts. and tire cleaner.

Rich, here's a basic rundown. There can be quite a few variables to every car, but it's at least a baseline:

1.Wash
2.Rinse-don't dry yet
3.Soap again and clay the car
4.Rinse then dry the car
5.Wax or sealant
6.Dress tires
7Vacuum(including trunk)
8.Carpet spot clean and/or shampoo(cloth seats too if applicable)
9.Clean all interior panels/dash etc and condition
10.Clean/condition leather if applicable
11.Deodorize
12.Windows in/out( Rain X is a nice add-on here )

Find out beforehand if people EXPECT you to include the engine compartment, because that's another whole story there, in time and $$$ I don't generally include this in my work, and interestingly isn't asked for much from anyone I work for.

Also, the 1 BIG variable you need to contend with is paint that needs/ requires more than wax/ sealant, and needs to be deoxidized or buffed out. If you're dealing with mostly new cars, a cleaner wax generally brings them up to snuff ( some won't even need that-just a pure non-abrasive wax/ sealant after claying ), but there may be some that need more, and that GREATLY increases your workload in time and overhead, especially if you don't have a buffer(rotary I mean ).

Good luck, take your time and let us know how it goes.

Dan,
That is exactly the list I was looking for. Thank you. I told them I'd try to take care of any scratches that stood out (I have a buffer and 3M Finesse It and some good polishing compound). I've gotten some pretty bad scratches out before, so I should be able to take care of the little stuff to there satisfaction. I was wondering about the engine compartment. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess if I don't mention it, and they dont request it, then I won't worry about it. Peace.

Rich

Sig.jpg

make sure you dont use the same pad for COMPOUNDS and anything else. I have been detailing cars for 10 years, let me tell you most people don't understand a true DETAIL. I have a shave guarntee....if your car doesn't feel like your freshly shaved face, and you cant shave in the shine I do it again. Buy some gloss black paint and do the fender wells $.99 an can at wally world. Personally I think 3M products are crapola. Except Imperial Hand Glaze. Go to your local detail shop or used car dealer. Talk to the detail man and ask him for his distributor, most good shops use Auto Magic or Car Brite products. Consumer grade stuff is okay (Meguiars, Turtle Wax, Blue Coral, etc) if you know how to use it. Your car is black and from pictures it looks good. Engine: If you are going to do your shopping at wal mart or auto zone then buy Castrol degreaser-the purple jug. Use it straight out of the bottle, spray it on a warm (not hot!) engine and use a stiff brush....go to town. Dont soak any electronic stuff like distributor caps on ignition coil packs and you should be fine. If you would like anymore useful tips e-mail me WEIKERTMAN@YAHOO.COM I will guide you on what to buy and what to avoid. When I started out I used to charge $100 for inside and out. Now I wont pull the trigger on my buffer for less than a 50 spot. GOOD LUCK!!!HAVE FUN!!!

Back