quick help. oil leak under car

Spider

ok i got drips all over the bottom of my pan. leaks about 10 drops, only seems to drip for about 20 mins from parking the car than stops.

how hard is it to change the oil pan gasket ?

could it be something else, if so how hard would that be to change ?

We Just Did This...

Spider said:
ok i got drips all over the bottom of my pan. leaks about 10 drops, only seems to drip for about 20 mins from parking the car than stops.

how hard is it to change the oil pan gasket ?

could it be something else, if so how hard would that be to change ?

To change that with the motor in the car, you need to drop the K member, with the engine supported from above by a cherry picker or other such tool designed for said support.
From there its easy, and the work is not all that bad with 2 ppl.
Change those motor mounts while youre there too....Prolly just as easy to change both mounts that way as any other way that has been outlined here come to think of it...Somebody will probably disagree with that, but oh well...

paul

Could be valve covers, as they only have to seal when the engines running. When the engine is off all the oil for the valves runs back into the pan.
Clark

blue72super said:
Could be valve covers, as they only have to seal when the engines running. When the engine is off all the oil for the valves runs back into the pan.
Clark

i just changed those

thirdbird said:
To change that with the motor in the car, you need to drop the K member, with the engine supported from above by a cherry picker or other such tool designed for said support.
From there its easy, and the work is not all that bad with 2 ppl.
Change those motor mounts while youre there too....Prolly just as easy to change both mounts that way as any other way that has been outlined here come to think of it...Somebody will probably disagree with that, but oh well...

paul

ok that kinda sounds lieka pain since i need to support the motor :( i just filled my car with royal purple 400 miles ago...

thanks for the help. ill have to think about how im going to do this and take it from there. i got my car out of the garage and now its a total mess :p

Last edited:
Take it to one of those do it yourself car wash places and wash the oil off so you can tell where it's coming from. Seriously doubt it's the pan gasket....more ofter it will be the oil pressure sender, or the area where the filter attaches to the oil cooler.

David

David Neibert said:
Take it to one of those do it yourself car wash places and wash the oil off so you can tell where it's coming from. Seriously doubt it's the pan gasket....more ofter it will be the oil pressure sender, or the area where the filter attaches to the oil cooler.

David

ok ill try that, i used some engine steamer degreaser canned stuff and hosed it off so its a little cleaner. car sits so low its hard to look underneath.
but ill try that this week.

i thinking it might me the oil sensor on the side maybe since the oil light likes to come on and its full of oil...

thanks for the tip :)

quick help oil leak

I'm finally, I hope getting to the bottom of my oil leak problem, So I've been looking at other things that might need doing, like oil pan gasket. If you remove the shroud at the rear of the hood, frnt of the windshield, you can put a jack under the transmission bell housing and jack the engine up carefully quite a ways, making some clearance under the pan. Perhaps enough to unbolt it and redo the sealing. if not enough room, you have to drop the crossmember. I'm planning to do this too, so let know if you get there first. Oh my leak appears mst likely to be at the rubber seal between the oil pump and oil cooler. If ypu're going this far I'd check that thing too.
Gerry

Last edited:
Back