front wheelbearing

gary o

i need to replace the front drivers wheel bearing and hub on my 9o xr7. do i simply remove the large nut and slip on the new one and torque to 250 ft pounds? if so does that metal clip that surrounds the nut have to be removed first or do you torque with the metal cover in place??? (i dont see how that clip/cover comes off) thanks in advance,,,gary

I dont know if this helps, from the ford shop manual...

Hub and Bearing Assembly

Removal

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.

3. Remove grease cap from hub and discard.

4. Remove two Torx® bolts from brake caliper assembly.

5. Remove caliper assembly and suspend by wire.

CAUTION:
Do not let caliper hang by the brake hose.

6. Remove rotor. Remove factory push on nuts, if installed.

7. Remove front axle wheel hub nut and discard.

8. Remove hub and bearing. If assembly cannot be removed by hand, use Front Hub Remover/Replacer T81P-1104-C or equivalent.

Installation

1. Install hub and bearing.

2. Install new front axle wheel hub nut and tighten to 255-345 N-m (189-254 lb-ft).

3. Install rotor and push on nuts.

4. Install new grease cap. Use appropriate tool so as not to damage or distort grease cap.

5. Position brake caliper ensuring spring clip is seated below spindle abutment.

6. Install brake caliper retaining Torx® bolts. Tighten to 34 N-m (25 lb-ft).

7. Install wheel and tire assembly. Tighten wheel lug nuts to 115-142 N-m (85-104 lb-ft).

8. Lower vehicle.

As luck would have it......

I just finished pulling one out of my parts car not 15 minutes ago.....:eek:

The job went just like the previous post.....almost.....

:confused:

After pounding a 1 3/8 socket on the nut, it came loose quite easy.....:D

However, removing the nut from the socket proved to be quite challenging......;)

I got the top torx bolt off, then went to remove the bottom one and found that it had been stripped out......:mad:

Lucky for me I had a cutting torch so I figured I could cut the caliper in half with it....:rolleyes:

After setting numerous grass fires around the car :eek:, I split the top part of the caliper.......

Then I took my favorite Ford tool (3 pound hammer) and commenced to pounding on the caliper......:mad:

It moved out of the way after a few good licks and I had the hub assembly out shortly there after......:D

Good luck......

Back