Wheel? and Chrome? Long

Tbirdsc Colonel

Do all chrome wheels eventually bubble up? I bought a set of 17x7.5's from a company in 99 got them in June by Aug. they where already pitting. I called the company they said no problem send me a new one and told me to keep the old one? which was really weird. So I put the bird in the garage from Sept till May. Drive it to Carisle and WFC then at the end of the summer (Sept 00) When I cleaning it for winter storage i noticed all 4 wheels where pitting on the inside. So I called the company agian they said oh its because i drove it on salted roads during the winter I then Explained to them "it is ONLY a summer car" they said send them one wheel they wanted to test it. A month later they said well its out of warrenty so we will cut you a deal 100 per wheel for a new set. So Reluctantly I did that, installed them sometime in Feb (01) I installed them. Then in July (01) I noticed the New set was pitting really bad on the outside lip. I called their number and long story short they told me to send the wheels back theywould send me a new set (my 3rd full set) Got the new set Aug (01) drove it till late Sept. like usual then garaged it. Drove all summer (02) went to the same shows no problems. Pulled it out In May (03) no problems i was shocked. On the way back from WFC in May I checked the air in the tires and what do you know pitting and flaking starting. When I got back to cincinnati I pulled the wheels and wow the chrome was flaking off to the touch. I called to comapany really pissed this time and guess what they are out of buiness.

So since then I have put about 2500 miles on the car because it is actually embarassing to drive the car the wheels are that bad. This summer I actually have the extra money to really do something about it. First of all does all chrome have like a one year life max? or was i just ever sooooo lucky (plz note extreme use of sarcasm) Do Polished wheels finish Last longer of should i just paint them and be done with it?

If I get new ones I am switching to 99 cobra spindles so I can have what I hope better quality wheels I was thinking
The Ford Racing Triple plated Chrome Cobra R wheels 18" x 9.5" which is a +20mm offset
or the 03 Polished Ford Racing Cobra wheels 17" x 8" with 30mm offset
Will either work?

any info on durability of chrom or polished is much appriciated

Thank you

Hmm my car has Chrome rims on it and they hav ebene on there for years...Not a problem at all...Except I bent two of em last weekend. Depends on teh quality of the dipping

What was teh company?

Back