Air Charge temps...What's a normal temp????

lube70

I have a double intercooler that is installed on my 95 SC. After running the car now a few times, the intercooler seems HOTTER than just the stocker with the fan!!!!! I have some major air going through it and according to the Snap-on scanner.....the air charge temps are about 118-120*F. I am wondering if this is about normal???? My return tube used to be kinda warm to the touch with the stocker, now it's HOT!!!!! Something does not seem right. All IC tubes are sealed, and everything should be fine. Just wondering if this is about right or am I way off. Temps outside are about 70*F.

Thanks,

Don

I am running....

I'm running 15% overdrive right now. I ran that on the stocker and I could hold the lower IC tube at the return plenum. Now, OUCH!!!!!! I feel the thinkness of the core and the 800 cfm fan is just not enough cooling alone.
I think it needs a shroud. I have your blower all boxed up and have actually forgotten to get it out. My bad. I will call you tomorrow with all the info. The wife had some complications and now is doing better.

Don

Hope that all goes well for your wife Don.I have been looking for the package from you,i guess it will be sent soon.I saw someone dyno here with a 94/95 blower running stock ratio and his air temps were 98* F.Dave praised him for running stock od with coated rotors,he dynoed 260 rwhp.

Dual Ch. Air Temp. Guages

I got the following E-mail from Ryan Davenport, at Autometer, concerning their Dual Ch. Air Temp. Guages.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your email and interest in Auto Meter Products. We offer two dual channel instruments. One being our Ultimate II tach. This will measure both engine speed and driveshaft speed. You can compare the two to get clutch slippage or torque converter lock-up.

The other dual channel instrument we offer is an intake temp gauge. This unit measures the air charge before and after the ntercooler. You can then compare the two temperatures to measure the efficiency of the intercooler.

Dual Channel Tachs:
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugelist.aspx?sid=38&opid=6&szid=8

Dual Channel Intake Temp:
Phantom: http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2648&sid=7

Sport-Comp:
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2820&sid=15

Ultra-Lite:
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3147&sid=11

If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.

Thanks again,
Ryan Davenport
National Sales
Auto Meter Products

Last edited:
It's been busy....

With the wife's issues and the dyno tune coming, I've been trying in spare time to get the car ready for the tune. I actually just spent some time fabricating a shroud for the IC so the fan pulls air through the whole IC and not just the section that it covers. I guess it's not cooling the whole IC due to thickness and the fact that the fan only sits on the IC and only cools the first few rows. Hopefully, this new shroud works to help draw cool air into the IC and lower ACT's.:D

Thanks for the advice and help.

Don

8" Vs 10"

lube70 said:
I actually just spent some time fabricating a shroud for the IC so the fan pulls air through the whole IC and not just the section that it covers. I guess it's not cooling the whole IC due to thickness and the fact that the fan only sits on the IC and only cools the first few rows. Don
Are you using an 8" or 10" fan?

If 8" fan, is it mounted using the "long nails" through the fins of the SIC/DIC? That will eventually hog out the cooling fins, due to all the weight of the fan, being hung on the cooling fins.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
8"

I have the 8" fan. No time to change now since the dyno tune is Saturday and I have no shops around to get a better fan.

I was ordering the fan from Victor at Spinning wheels SC and was a little worried about 2400 CFM from a 8" fan!!!

Don

HOT iNTERCOOLER

I too have a 94 SC with a recently installed DIC and have noticed the same thing.The intercooler and tubes are extremely hot to the touch,more so than with the stock intercooler.If possible,I would like to find a shorter condensor and build some type of shrould.I am only running a 5% OD and the DIC is cooking even after a 3 mile moderate cruise.Anyone know where to purchase a shorter ac condensor.

Well,

I am now going to use the stock rubber shroud in the front of the IC and the fan and new shroud in the back (engine side) of the IC. This will hopefully get enough air through. If this does not work, I will re-install the stock IC and dyno it with that. It made 299 RWHP and 435 RWTQ with a STOCK IC with fan!!!!

I am a little disappointed in the lack of air charge cooling with the double IC although I believe that the fan shroud will help the situation. My belief is that the core is so thick that the fan is not able to pull enough air to properly cool the whole core. I actually drove the car about 3 minutes and could not touch the return tube!!!

Find out tomorrow if this works. I think I need a better fan also!!!!

The shorter A/C condensor is not made anymore. George Davenport has posted in the FAQ section the actual dimentions of the item and you can have a radiator shop make it for you.

Keep me updated with your progress on your I/C and I'll PM you with mine!!

Don

800 cfm, becomes 2100 cfm, becomes 2400 cfm

lube70 said:
I was ordering the fan from Victor at Spinning wheels SC and was a little worried about 2400 CFM from a 8" fan!!! Don
The 2400 cfm (originally 2100) rating came from mn12performance. Originally the SAME fan was rated at 800 cfm. Then mn12performance claimed to have gotten updated information from the manufacter, RE-calibrating the fan at 2100 cfm. Sometime later the cfm rating must have gotten bumped to 2400.

I always questioned the 2400 cfm from an 8" fan. Look at the cfm rating of other 8" fans! Then look at all the cfm ratings of 10" fans. All of the cfm, rpm, amp draw, ratings seem to work together. So how does one fan go from 800 cfm to 2100 cfm to 2400 cfm? Maybe if you run the 800 cfm fan @ 36 VDC (12 VDC times 3), it will put out 2400 cfm (800 cfm times 3).

please, Please, PLEASE, I'm NOT bashing Victor. He's a Friend of mine, & I would never damage his reputation. I truely believe that Victor just continued the product descriptions of the inventory he bought from mn12performance.

I would also like to say, that other than the 2100 cfm (2400 cfm) rating of the 8" mn12performance IC fan; I have always found their products to be TOP NOTCH!!!!! I have many of their products on my car, & consider Every One of them, an improvement!!!

Rich Thompson & his products have always been good to me!!!

68COUGAR

More Dense Intake

lube70 said:
I am now going to use the stock rubber shroud in the front of the IC. Don
Have you ever thought of sucking a cloud of VERY COLD (-135 degree) vapor through the SIC/DIC? It's easy to do, & easy to Hide, IF you use the OEM bellows in front of the SIC.

68COUGAR

Where.

Where would I get that from???? All I thought about was dry ice!!!! Cooling and looks nice too!!!!

Don

also...

Steve called me (92strokedbird) and gave me some insight into the solutions. Seems the 10" fan does work better and I guess I will be upgrading. Also, on the 94-95, the washer bottle is right in line with the IC!!!! Go figure from Ford!!!

Hopefully all will be well very soon. The shroud should be ready by morning and I will test the performance on it today off the car. If this works, I'll pass on the way I did it and shrouds for all!!! :D :D :D

Don

Ok

Clutchin said:
I too have a 94 SC with a recently installed DIC and have noticed the same thing.The intercooler and tubes are extremely hot to the touch,more so than with the stock intercooler..

Do you have a fan on the IC???? This makes the world of difference with the IC. I am now trying to get the shroud made and see if this helps. Again, give me a call or contact Steve N. He has helped me with these issues.

Don

i made a shroud for my double i/c and i think it works great.after running wot the double i/c is just warm to the touch.before i installed the i/c and fan i wired it up and put a cigarette in front of it and tested to make sure it would pull the smoke in from top to bottom of i/c,it did.before the double i/c,fan and shroud it would be super hot to the touch.

Pusher Fan

Yes,I have the 8 inch perma cool fan on the intercooler and previously had it on the SIC.I removed the pusher fan today as it has never came on in the 4 years that I have owned it.The pusher fan covers almost half of the DIC therefore I am going to try it with it removed or wire it up with a switch and try using it.Yes,the washer fluid is directly in the way of the intercooler and I have considered removing or relocating it.I recently switched to a 180 thermostat from a 195 and it does run cooler on the stock gauge although i have not changed the fan settings as of yet.Previously i had an intake gasket leaking coolant internally.I changed intake and head gaskets and it runs excellent.My rad overflow tank never used to increase when hot but now even after 4 or 5 miles the level is halfway between the hot and cold markings.I think I will wire up the pusher fan and maybe get a thermostatic switch.Anyways, let me know how the shroud works for you and what you made it out of.

lube70 said:
I have a double intercooler that is installed on my 95 SC. After running the car now a few times, the intercooler seems HOTTER than just the stocker with the fan!!!!! I have some major air going through it and according to the Snap-on scanner.....the air charge temps are about 118-120*F. I am wondering if this is about normal???? My return tube used to be kinda warm to the touch with the stocker, now it's HOT!!!!! Something does not seem right. All IC tubes are sealed, and everything should be fine. Just wondering if this is about right or am I way off. Temps outside are about 70*F.

Thanks,

Don
The return tubes should be hot, right? Isn't that what removes the heat??Check with David tomorrow, but I think he said my ACT's were about 104° today and that this was good, so I would think your 118° should be right in the ballpark.

Ira

Well finished the shroud....

After some major cleaning, the IC is running well and the shroud seems to be working. It pulls air through the whole IC instead of just where the fan is. I am trying to see if the shroud will be a hinderence at high speeds (highway speeds) due to the air having to go through the fan opening and not being allowed to pass through the IC alone.

I would say that for the most partm the shroud idea is a thumbs up.....My intake temps were around 75* and got as high as 112 after beating on it. This is 15 lbs of boost going through the IC.

The return tube is MUCH cooler now than yesterday. Again, thanks to all that chimed in on this much needed discussion.

Don

Back