Ordered A Thermostat...

darkstar_one

Well, i ordered a thermostat from SUMMIT RACING, its a HYPERTECH POWERSTAT HI-FLO and what not, its supposed to be a 180 degree thermostat that opens at a 200 degrees and closes at 180 degrees, i mean shouldnt it open at 180 degrees if it is labeled a 180 degree thermostat instead of opening at 200 degrees.... it doesnt have the bypass valve that the autozone 180 thermostat had, this looks a lil cheaper than the autozone, should i put it in? i mean it was only like 8 bucks, so... anyone? maybe should of ordered that JET one for 13 bucks...

It is called a 180 degree thermostat yet they state that it opens at 200 degrees? HMMMMM, I was always under the impression that a 180 degree t-stat opened AND closed at 180 degrees. I think it would be better to have one that opens at 180 degrees rather than 200. The stocker is 195, so the one you have would allow the engine to get HOTTER before it opened.

PERSONALLY, I would return that one and get a REAL 180 degree t-stat. Anyone else here have an oppinion on this one?

All thermostatic devices are rated to "open" at the listed temperature. Them telling you that a 180' therm is supposed to open at 200' is bull~*#! You would be better off with the stocker? :D

180 degrees vs 200 degrees vs OEM 195 degrees

darkstar_one said:
its supposed to be a 180 degree thermostat that opens at a 200 degrees and closes at 180 degrees
I don't even understand how that is possible. Can somebody help me understand that concept? I guess I'm too Old School to understand these new fangled ways!!!!!

Old Kodger 68COUGAR

dude thats what i want to know also, it says 180 degree, the paper work says it opens at 200 degrees and closes at 180.... i was like ~~~... plus it looks cheaper than the DURALAST one from autozone. I have no idea...

What ...

What they probably mean is that the thermostat starts opening at 180---not fully open until 200--and closes again at 180.

That is how a thermostat works. It starts to open at the said temp.

Don

probably, but thats a lil too high for my comfort, i think the duralast thermostat fully opens alot sooner, ohh well.

Car Club Internet Forum

I think you should contact the manufacturer & get a clarification on this.

You might also mention that there is a Lot of interest from your Car Clubs Internet Forum, concerning the MIS-leading information on the package.

68COUGAR

Back