MAF throttle body question.

442guy

I have been thinking about my inlet side of the engine, and when I used to have GM products they liked the MAF real close and in a straight shot to the Throttle body, any advantage for me trying to fab that type of set up on our engines, It would be easy to do would this help with throttle response or is it a white elephant.
I searched it but found nothing related my googlefu is weak :(

Well..

Only thing you don't want is a large turn right before the MAF. This will cause turbulance and give irratic readings. GM does this because it's easier to install, wiring is easier and air charge temps are more accurate.

Also depends on the speed of the processor I would suppose to be able to process the incoming air flow accurately.

Don

Would airflow not be the same no matter where the MAF is as far as the computers ability to process speed goes.
Putting it closer to the TB would also put it after the PCv, would this end up causing problems?

I think it would cause a problem because you are letting unmetered air into the motor. Remember that the pcv opens bacause of the vacuum applied to it and the motor sucks the crank case air into the inlet, and the crank case air comes from...... you guessed it, the little fitting on the cold air intake side after the MAF.

I believe the MAF measures the density of the air by temperature variances and having it under the hood closer to the T/B could throw the readings out cause of heat soaking the MAF more than usual. You would definately need a tune to compensate for that variance as well.

Frit

I don't buy the heat soaking of the MAF it's not that much cooler , The PCV is after the MAF now, I would put it before the mAF would that not be better it's actually pulling metered air in it's current location.

The PCV is not on that side of the t/b, its the inlet air for the crankcase.

The fillament inside the maf is heated to a preset temperature, and the amount of air crossing over it cools it down altering the resistance. Having the maf alot closer to the engine where the external air is ALOT hotter is going to have that filament running hotter because the maf body is hotter.

Frit

Back