clutch bleeding problem

gary o

i went to bleed the clutch throw out because i had good pedal pressure but was having a hard time shifting and getting into gear from a dead stop. i opened the bleeder valve while a friend pushed the pedal down then closed the valve then he let off on the pedal-just like i have always done brakes. problem is that it is not drawing fluid in to replace what we have pumped out and now i have almost no pedal pressure. am i doing something wrong or does this mean i have to pull the trans? doh!- i just put the engine back in this thing and only discovered this forum after the job.

hang on rookie,,,

i think i made a pea brain move-looking at the manual it says there is a resovoir diaphragm under the cap(rubber i presume?) i think i may have poured the fluid on top of the rubber divider so it obviously could not get into the master cylinder from the resovoir,,,duh-i will check the car tommorow and see if this is what is happening. is there a rubber divider under the plastic clutch resevoir cap?

gary o said:
is there a rubber divider under the plastic clutch resevoir cap?

Yes, mine came out with the cap.
If you are not getting pressure enough to release the clutch all the way, bleeding may not solve your problem, unless the fluid is just plain low.

I bought a new clutch master, because my pedal goes from high to low to high unpredictably. I realize this may be a bearing issue, but I want to eliminate the possibility of the master as culprit of any further trouble.
I probably have to get a new clutch, we shall see....

paul

Back