clutches

operation rob

i need a new clutch. can someone recommend me some clutches for a 94 5 speed? such as types, companies, and what other car clutches will fit on a SC? i am pretty new to cars with standard transmissions so i dont know too much, any special information i need to know? also, is there a certain size clutch that i need to buy?(dont worry, i'm not stupid, i know i cant just take a clutch from a civic and put it on my tbird, not that i'd want to, i'm just wondering if there is different sizes/what the differences are). thanks.
rob.

I have changed my clutch twice in the last two years. The first one was a Luk clutch and that is the same as what came in the car from Ford. I got it from dialaclutch.com. I had it in the car for a few months and had an issue with the pressure plate eating the cluth disk. The price was great and it came with all that you need disk/pressure plate/ throwout and pilot bearing/ and slave cylinder if I remember correctly. When the piece failed an I tried to warrenty it the guy at dail a clutch was an !@#%$#@ to me. But I have not heard to many people that are making stock power have to many problems with the Luk piece. After mine failed I went with the spec stage one and I like it allot more than the LUK. There was no comparision in the parts the spec was of MUCH higher quality both on the clutch disk and pressure plate. http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?PartID=178 The cluth pedal was a little stiffer but not bad. It grabs and holds great (sometimes a little to good). Just make sure when you do it change the slave cylinder and have the flywheel turned. the clutch is 11.5" and centerforce also makes one for us but i have read mixed feelings on those. Good luck with it!

I have....

I have a Centerforce clutch in my 95 5-speed car with 300RWHP and no problems at all. Car pushes 435 RWTQ and grabs great. The spec clutches grab VERY HARD and I've heard of hard pedals.

Don

Pit Bird said:
I have changed my clutch twice in the last two years. The first one was a Luk clutch and that is the same as what came in the car from Ford. I got it from dialaclutch.com. I had it in the car for a few months and had an issue with the pressure plate eating the cluth disk. The price was great and it came with all that you need disk/pressure plate/ throwout and pilot bearing/ and slave cylinder if I remember correctly. When the piece failed an I tried to warrenty it the guy at dail a clutch was an !@#%$#@ to me. But I have not heard to many people that are making stock power have to many problems with the Luk piece. After mine failed I went with the spec stage one and I like it allot more than the LUK. There was no comparision in the parts the spec was of MUCH higher quality both on the clutch disk and pressure plate. http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?PartID=178 The cluth pedal was a little stiffer but not bad. It grabs and holds great (sometimes a little to good). Just make sure when you do it change the slave cylinder and have the flywheel turned. the clutch is 11.5" and centerforce also makes one for us but i have read mixed feelings on those. Good luck with it!

Agreed....LUK is Junk! and the service from dial-a-clutch when my slave failed sucked.

Pit Bird said:

alright, so i'd need to spend another $100 on the slave cylinder. also, why do you get the flywheel turned?

operation rob said:
alright, so i'd need to spend another $100 on the slave cylinder. also, why do you get the flywheel turned?

Get the flywheel resurfaced to make sure it is smooth, flat, straight, etc. Also.... make sure you ask how much they take off when they turn the flywheel because you will need to shim the slave cylinder that same amount or your clutch will not fully disengage, causing it to be VERY hard to get into gear from a dead stop and difficult even when moving.

i hate to say it, but I went with a Spec Stage II that should be good for up to 400rwhp. but lately I've seen recommendations from very experienced folks that the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is a more ideal solution for our cars. Mostly due to the lack of chatter and smoother transition.

On another note, I've yet to see anyone recommend against the lightweight flywheel. with the stock torque of the SC, a light weight flywheel really is a performance benefit.

Mike8675309 said:
i hate to say it, but I went with a Spec Stage II that should be good for up to 400rwhp. but lately I've seen recommendations from very experienced folks that the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is a more ideal solution for our cars. Mostly due to the lack of chatter and smoother transition.

On another note, I've yet to see anyone recommend against the lightweight flywheel. with the stock torque of the SC, a light weight flywheel really is a performance benefit.
might seem like a dumb question, but how do you buy/look at the price off the centerforce website? and also, my shifter seems to make lots and lots of noise when i'm in 5th on the highway so i tend to hold it so it's not loud, any way to prevent that? and i am turning/resurfacing/making it flat or whatever because my dad has a machine shop so we can do it.

Go through a Centerforce re-seller (i.e. Jegs, Summit, etc). I got the one for my '95 from some place called Performance International a few years ago. If you go direct through Centerforce you will pay more. It's been a while since I put the DF in my Cougar, but I believe with clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing it was about $300 at a local speed shop.

I have forty thousand miles on a spec stage 3 clutch. No chatter at all. It has a harder than stock pressure to acuate but I have not found that a problem.

I would also suggest the lightening option and aluminum flywheel.

I bought mine here for a good price.

http://www.paautoracing.com/cd/

I have the spec stage 2 in my car. I really like it. It does have a stiffer pedal than stock,but I have come to be comfortable with it. The only issue I have with the pedal is when I get out of the Jeep, and straight into the SC.

Just to add my 2 cents, I can verify the Spec Stage 2 does have some pretty good amount of pressure on the peddle. As far as how it grabs, hopefully I can tell you the end of next month.

XR7inWI said:
Get the flywheel resurfaced to make sure it is smooth, flat, straight, etc. Also.... make sure you ask how much they take off when they turn the flywheel because you will need to shim the slave cylinder that same amount or your clutch will not fully disengage, causing it to be VERY hard to get into gear from a dead stop and difficult even when moving.

How do you shim the slave cylinder? I am having the disengaging problem you are talking about. Just got the car, and I was going to replace the clutch, but if I can just shim it, it might help. The clutch feels fine otherwise.

Hock said:
Just to add my 2 cents, I can verify the Spec Stage 2 does have some pretty good amount of pressure on the peddle. As far as how it grabs, hopefully I can tell you the end of next month.
nothing can compare to my current clutch. as my mechanic said "yeah, i actually dont think my dump truck's clutch is that hard"

Back