Dyno fan cooling vs. At SPEED Cooling

68COUGAR

I've been thinking about this since I 1st. dyno tuned.

When my car is at 150+ mph, the air cooling my radiator is 150+ mph.

Now when I dyno tune, then put a 4 ft. dia. fan in front of my car & call it equal.

Now on an N/A car, as long as the engine stays cool (4" fan in front of the radiator), everything should be OK

But on a Boosted car, it's a whole different story. Consider this: 150 mph. Whats the cooling effect of 150 mph? Consider Dyno Tune: Will the 4' fan provide 150 mph air flow through your SIC/DIC?

Ansser: NO

My Conclusion: The SC motor will put out more hp/TQ @ spd, than it will on a dyno. All because of INSUFICIENT air flow to the SIC/DIC on the Dyno.

Opinions? Conclusions?

68COUGAR

Well...

I agree and disagree. Yes, as far as ACT, the highway speeds will ALWAYS provide a positive air flow over the IC. This is proven on anyone that has an intercooler and then adds a fan on the intercooler.

The ECT's are just there regardless. If you are doing 150 mph :)eek: :eek: ), it would cool the engine and the engine would be getting just as hot from the heat soak of the radiator. This is why we all try to run the cooling fan during dyno.

Finally, I really think that the dynoing of the car will cause a heat soak regardless unless means of cooling is employed.

I suggest making a dyno that runs at 150 mph and put the car on the dyno and run it!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:

That was a joke!!!

Don

Jogi said:
I'm sure this is not 1:1 comparison but here is article about dyno & cooling airflow, pretty interesting. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/8020/tech-stuff-is-your-dyno-lying-page2.html

No it's not a 1:1 comparison, but there is truth in the article. The higher the intake temp, the eec does pull timing and add fuel (as I understand it) thus reducing the actual power. Unfortunately, there's no good way that your "average" dyno shop can provide enough airflow to simulate highway speeds and faster, thus the cooling effectiveness is much less. That goes for engine coolant as well as our precious ICs. That's also where the effectiveness of an IC fan shows itself. The IC fan doesn't do much at highway speeds, if any at all. However in stop-go traffic or at the beginning of a run down the strip, the efficiency of the IC is increased due to the increased airflow provided for by the fan.

So yes, 68COUGAR, I agree with you completely that "actual" street power will be slightly higher than dyno power (depending on the dyno...) because of the cooling aspect. However, since everyone uses pretty much the same setup at a dyno, then we are all on a level playing field...

No, the car will not make more power in real life. I have datalogged ACT's on the street as well as on the dyno and due to the short amount of time actuallly at WOT on the dyno ACT's are lower on the dyno than they are in real life.

Back