manual rack and pinion swap

thebigslide

Hi, I just changed tracks again in my rebuild project and I was wondering if anyone has found a manual steering rack that nicely fits our cars.

From what I understand, the Pinto bolts in with only a sector shaft mod. You are supposed to use the inners off of your SC and it is long enough. I dont have the cash to do that part yet but we are in the same boat.

Chris

Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick one up from the part store next paycheck. Do you have any details on the sector shaft mod necessary? Once this is done, all I have left in my suspension overhaul is some forearm curls to develop my parallel parking muscles.

I am not really sure. I think the joint may need to be flipped over or something. I have only read that there is a mod to do and need to research further before I post something that is wrong.

Chris

I just got done doing this. I have found that all mustang racks from mid 70's up to 2004 will bolt in are cars. The probblems you will run into is mid 70's up to 93 the inner tie rods are way to short but your steering shaft will fit if it is NOT a Flameing river rack. I got to looking at my wifes 01 Mustang and found that the inner tire rods are long enough and the same thread only probblem was the steering shaft was not the same, No big deal I figured I would just get one for a 94-04 stang and adapt. I could not find a stock manual rack for a 94-04 stang I guss Ford never made one. So I got ahold of a Flameing river dealer and he sold me a bolt in rack for a 01 stang?????? I got it and found out that Flameing river has there own thread size on the rack 9/16x18 tpi and stock 01 stangs and T-birds have 14mmx1.5mm and there steering shaft are also diffrent from a stangs I guss they do this so you have to buy everthing from Flameing river so after hours of custom work I got it installed. If you can find a manual rack that is a exact fit for a 94-04 mustang you will have alot less hassle. PS the outter tie rods for a mustang (94-04) are to short for a T-bird so you have to use the bird ones.

I bought one from NAPA. bolted right up and used the stock SC tie rod ends. The only issue I ran into was the rag joint. the Mustang and Sc were differant. I Had to drill out the rivets and fab it up with grade 8 bolts and red locktite. Totol cost $240.:D

I gotta ask you Tim, what did you do about your belt? Did you put in a dummy pully there and keep the stock size? Or did you reroute your lower hose and delete it all together?

Chris

I deleted it all together. No I did not have to change the lower hose. All Iam turning now is the alternator so I just used a narrower belt. I have the aluminum crank and alternator pulleys, they are groved so its really not hard to do at all. Well except I probably made six trips to Napa.

pictures

If you look in the nontech thread under more pictures I posted a few shots of the alternator belt. I tried to post them again but for some reason it wont let me.:mad:

tim said:
If you look in the nontech thread under more pictures I posted a few shots of the alternator belt. I tried to post them again but for some reason it wont let me.:mad:
If you rename the pictures before you upload, you can post them. But a link to the thread would be better.

Thanks guys I am still trying to learn how to use the camera and software and attachments. Chris I hope the pictures helped anything else that I can help with please feel free to ask. Thats what I love about this club we all help each other out. I can send you a picture of what I did to the rag joint when I went to the manual box. Probably this weekend. Let me know.:D

Back