cold air at night=nice ride

Merlon

So i live in california where for the most part its hot. I have been struggling with my Tbird for some time know to figure out the real problem behind my missfires. They happen when the car gets to full operating temps, and during the day, last night i was coming home from work, and had to take a longer route than normal, and more red lights, but my car didnt missfire.

I replaced the heatsink grease under the DIS with arctic silver 5, but in the daytime it still missfired, same trip length, actually less, just hotter air.

So could this be related? and how do i make my car run better off this knowlege?

Cold air kit?
run tubing to the front bumper from the air box for cooler air?
also when i unplug my MAFs, it runs crappy but longer without a misfire, what is this all about? I love this car to much to sell it, although i almost did once, i cant bring myself to do it. but i cant keep a car that wont work for me.

1990 Tbird SC
auto

Just a thought...

Maybe you have already tried this, but it's so basic it sometimes gets overlooked... Have you cleaned the filaments on the MAF sensor? It sounds like you are pinpointing an issue with the MAFS because the misfire stops with it unplugged. Actually, the engine should probably stumble and die when you unplug it, but if the sensor is really dirty the EEC may have compensated (leaned out) the air/fuel ratio to the point where unplugging just causes it to run (more) poorly...

if the maf-sensor is unplugged, the ECC will use a standard program, will not run as it should, but it would not die.

Back