parking brake replace et al

pappy

:D got a 90 s/c needs parking brake work(replace)
book i have is non too clear about how to...when i pull up on the lever,
it goes alllll the way up w/o holding(put in gear to hold!!!)
any body done this replacement?as you know...discs at all 4 corners.
also...thanks to whovever posted on the power steering pump,that's next
project.
i await and answer if anyone cares to comment/kibbitz.

:(
sorry...just found other posts on p. brakes....mine has the spring thingie on the tensioner rod...tried to "adjust" it and now the hand brake goes up even farther!!! don't EVEN hold now...no knowledge of these things is dangerous..
i'll try again...fortunately i have access to a full car lift( son-in-law's step dad has on i his garage...!!!) so i kin try again...thanks for listening(you kin still comment or offer help)
:D

parking brake

Having just replaced all the cables in my '89 I at least now know how it works. The long cable from the adjuster in the rear simply has a clevis that hooks over the ratcheting part of the lever applies tension in the cables applying the rear brakes. If that long cable becomes too loose because the auto adjuster isn't taking up the slack, the clevis hook can simply fall off the mechanism. Does the handle apply any tension at all or just free ratchets up when pulled? If the tensioner in the rear is rusted or gunked up as mine was then it does not keep making the auto-adjustments. Creating a similar condition. Clean that up and make sure its taking up the free play in the cables.
Gerry

Back