new sunroof seal doesnt close correctly??

ddw350

i got the seal from webasto,its a felt one too,followed all instructions per sccoa,and used a thin layer of adhesive,now it seems to "bind" on opening and closing...i adjusted a million times too,that doesnt really help,just angles the glass a little...it does work though ,just not the way it should,will this seal "wear in" a little after being in the weather for awhile? i remember when i fixed my rubber one it did this also,but that one was old and crappy,i figured the new one would slip right into position..any thoughts...

If it's like mine the track is so dirty that the motor has to work overtime. I have to help mine close the last 2 inches. I have had a Ford replacement that was all rubber and now I have the Wabesto felt one (looks like my original 89 seal) and both have this problem. I don't think the seal is the problem. You want it to seal tight or you will get wind noise.

Jerry

When I replaced mine it wouldn't seal right when you close it if you had it opened up the way, but if I dropped it down then put it back up it was fine... that was last year, now it seals beautifully on its own.

Frit

i closed it up where it should be and left it there for like a few hours,it seems to work pretty good now,i will keep an eye on it and see if it gets better after it kinda settles in....

I just got my replacement seal in from Webasto, so I will be going through this soon as well. Mine has the felt on it too.

Is there a good way to clean the tracks to help the motor out? Mine needs help to close the last 2-3 inches even with the worn out seal in place.

Anyone have tips, other than the FAQ on this site?

I just went through this. As far as the new seal binding, just leave it in the closed position, about 2 weeks or so it will have softened up and open better.

As far as the tracks, use a heavy amount of W40 to get the dirt out, then wipe it down. To keep it lubed up good though, I used "Primisus Lube Gel" bought it at Wal-Mart, it's near the WD40, etc. It sprays on, but is a thick Gel so it doesn't dissipate.

Before using the Lube Gel, I thought my motor was shot as well, the last 2 - 3 inches it wouldn't close (from the wide open position, not the popped up position) without my help. Since lubing it up, it works great.

my seal is working fine now,i just need a little adjustment to even it up[which it probably wont get...] i cleaned up the tracks,and regreased with a light coat of white lithium grease and wiped off the excess,seems to be good now....

Back