At Wits End

rmsuper

Well, I've read and gained much from this board!
Thank you, to everyone.

Here is my issue.
The car, 90 SC 5 spd, will crank and never turn over.
The last time it was running the RPMS, dropped to about 500 or below, the car lost power, but came back by pressing the gas a few times. Got to work, turned it off, came back 9 hours later wouldnt start. There were whisps of smoke coming from the front drivers side of the hood.
After reading some posts, changed the CPS, cranks no start.
Used a test light and coulndt get any light from the IRCM to DIS, Coil pack, or CPS. Changed out the IRCM same thing, crank no start. Changed coil pack, no start. While cranking, fuel shoots out of the Schroeder Valve.
Fuses look good, All of the accesories work.
Im gonna check the started relay on the drivers side firewall.
Anything else I may be overlooking?

Thanks, sorry for the long post...:confused:

First for the obvious. Fuel definately should not be shooting out of the schrader valve. Replace the inner core or maybe it just needs to be tightened up with a tire valve tool. I think youre losing all your fuel pressure and not getting any pressure at the injectors. Didn't you smell any gas for a clue? John

i think he meant he checked and fuel comes out valve when cranking not all the time just that he opened the valve to test it for pressure.

hey cam sensor is the car acting like its hard to start like dragging the starter if so it should start on 3rd crank try holding gas peddle to floor if it starts change cam sensor

We tested the valve only when cranking, the stem is not loose.
The car never turns over, have tried cranking it about 6 times, nothing.
Thanks again.

mannysc said:
i think he meant he checked and fuel comes out valve when cranking not all the time just that he opened the valve to test it for pressure.

hey cam sensor is the car acting like its hard to start like dragging the starter if so it should start on 3rd crank try holding gas peddle to floor if it starts change cam sensor

Stupid me, of couse he meant that fuel came out when checking. Wha was I thinking? lol

WHat do you mean the car never turns over. Do you mean it will not fire or that it will not rotate? If it is not firing, try the dis. Same problem I had recently. Engine begin to run like crap occasionally, then ran like a lawn mower all the time to the point where it barely ran. Changed the dis and vroom.

Car rotates, but doesnt run.
There is no upshift light.
I have tried a new DIS moudule, does not run.

You have to check for sppark. Can't just assume you don't have it. A timing light hooked up to a plug wire will work or pull the plug wire off one and use a special spark plug like tester.

I'm guessing you don't have spark, but that's a guess. Wisps of smoke, not good. What part of the front? Front left, front right?

Have you verified all of the fuses, including the ones in the power distribution block?

When you press the valve on the fuel rail gasoline should spurt out in a spray as it should be under 40 some lbs of pressure. Get an actual fuel pressure gauge to make sure you're getting fuel pressure.

You should also do the pinpoint test for no start condtion. Either you or a qualified mechanic. Here's a link to it if you wanna give it a shot.
http://mnharms.com/tutorials/disnostart/

Keep in mind wiring can be an issue as much as a bad device, and the puff of smoke sure hints at a wiring issue. Maybe something shorted to ground and then melted open?

On the pinpoint test pay particular attention to the tests that validate voltages getting to everything.

Last edited:
Back