buying my first SC tomorrow, looking for local shop!

wmullen9638

I have been the proud owner of a non SC cougar for about 5 years now, and today I bought a 1990 SC 5-speed.
I was hoping someone may be able to refer me to some knowledgable shops here in the San Antonio area. I want it tuned as soon as I finish bringing it back to life, but don't want anyone who isn't familiar touching this car. I know a lot about these cars (owning the cougar), but don't know about the changes in the SC models.
Any help is always appreciated.
(of course I'll be on here a lot more also)

Last edited:
Check the "Knowledgable SC Mechanics" forum.

THIS THREAD.... Lists several in Tejas, not sure if any are close enough for you YOU though. Check it out and good luck with your SC.:)

The shop in Austin will be the closest to you, but i cant speak for that shop and there work, i do know that Vernon in Magnolia knows his ~~~~~, Magnolia is just outside Houston on the NW side.
What exactly do you need to have done to get the bird back to life?
Also head over to tccoa.com and go under the Texas Chapter, we are having our state meet at the end of June in SA.

Yeah afterwards you feel like an idiot when you read something listed like this having just asked this question. Thanks for the schooling anyway.

So, It is running, the previous owner put a good battery in it and its alive.
I can tell it has some issues, but its still reading 10 lbs. of boost pressure, shifts great (standard), and -doesn't have too many noises coming from under the hood that aren't supposed to be there.

Only problem so FAR, it's my WIFES!

Mostly just in theory, I believe we all know who will be restoring this beauty to its original state.

And, do go to Houston often, but if I can I think I'll hit up the Austin guys if I need help trouble shooting!

thanks for the austin shop.

i've been looking for a good shop here in austin since read custom automotive sold their business. its unsettling not to have your fallback shop. Do you know if JP in austin is a custom shop only, or will they take your car if it breaks down on the road and you get it towed in for repairs?

Thanks guys
sig2.jpg

Last edited:
Back