After battery died, rough idle in neutral...

DutchSCFan76

Hi,

Ever since my battery died, the idle in Neutral is very rough, and after a while it stalls the car. This is only when the car is hot / warm. On cold start, idle in Neutral is fine. Standing by a stoplight, with the gear in D, idle is fine (warm or cold).

Can this be an electronic issue with the ECC or can I check other things? Soon i will replace the stock airbox, with a Fresh air intake system from SCperformance. So far, everything is still 'stock'.

Any help appreciated.

Eelko

---

Thunderbird SC '89 - ADO TRANNY.

i have hear on this board

that when someones battery was low it kept losing its memory or something, and causing it to isdle like ~~~~e, or crap out, less he heel toed it at the red lights. but the alternator takes carew of the car while running .

i know my car runs like ~~~~ warm, and my battery is crappy. but i charged it up, and occassionally have help the window s up because of the lcak of charge. let me know what happens when you install a new one.

Verify the voltage at the battery. With the key off you should see just over 12v. Key on, engine off, maybe at 12v. Key on, engine runningn, 13.7 to 14.7v. Anything below that with the engine running means the alternator is not working or the wires going to it are damaged.

Mike8675309 said:
Verify the voltage at the battery. With the key off you should see just over 12v. Key on, engine off, maybe at 12v. Key on, engine runningn, 13.7 to 14.7v. Anything below that with the engine running means the alternator is not working or the wires going to it are damaged.

The alternator is working, otherwise the battery would not be recharged at all. I have read somthing about Idle Air Control? Do i have this on my SC of 89? And is it located near / on top of the throtle body?

How do you know it's recharging properly if you don't check the voltage? The key is simply that you don't assume, you measure and you test.

Yes, you have an idle air control. It's attached to the throttle body. Do you feel that the idle speed is hunting when you're in neutral, or that just slowly drops until it dies?

solved

I like my car.

It solves so far every little problem by itself. The idle (when warm) is now fine :confused: :eek: guess the ECC finally re-learned how to maintain its idle....

thanks all

DutchSCFan76 said:
I like my car.

It solves so far every little problem by itself. The idle (when warm) is now fine :confused: :eek: guess the ECC finally re-learned how to maintain its idle....

thanks all
cool, good for you man.

Back