A/C cool, but not cold enough

mcate

This is on my '96 LX. The air out of the vents is cool, but not nearly cold enough. (And it was only 82 here today) Anyway, I picked up a bottle of 134 & hooked it up according to the instructions. It has a gauge on the top, & says if the needle is in the blue area, the system is full. Well, the needle is in the blue. Any ideas?

setup...

to troubleshoot the AC you really need high & lo gages & a good wind blowing into the front end or a shop-vac blower & rev the eng to 1500 rpm & a themometer in the center vent on "MAX" or Recerc. now you can get an accurate reading & then determine if you have enough 134 or if your compressor is weak time your cycles on & off.

matt

Last edited:
You might check to make sure your condenser in front of radiator is not clogged up. It can trap a lot of crap in the fins and reduce it's ability to remove heat. Find a way to blow it out from behind towards front. John

I used to have a set of gauges from my heating & A/C school days. Wish I still had them now! I had the A/C on max, & I noticed the compressor cycling on & off. The engine was warm, & the rad fan was running on high speed. So I probably had pretty good airflow across the condensor coil. I'll check it today to see if it's dirty.

Back