'95 SC- RPM problem/hesitation

Nate93

Hi guys. I have a '95 SC, auto tranny with all the extras (coy miller, double intercooler etc etc.) All was well until one day...

Sypmtoms: If I hold the gas steady while in park so as to keep the idle at we'll say 2000 rpm, it will hold there for maybe 20 seconds then the idle will drop down to 1500ish and back up to 2000. It takes maybe 2 seconds for it to drop and come back up. My foot and the gas pedal don't move at all during this.

Where this is bothersome: I can be on cruise control at 65 and I'll hear a "cachunk" or maybe feel it more than hear it, seems to come from the rear and I'll lose power for a second before it fixes itself and gets back to 65.

Most often noticed during fairly hard acceleration. I live off an in-town highway so I often go from a stop to 50mph and I don't slouch on the acceleration (I'm not racing it, just not granying it). I will, almost without fail, have some hesitation somewhere in there before I reach 50. When I push on the gas of a coy miller Stage 2, or ANY other SC for that matter, I want the thing to move. This hesitation is quite annoying so if you guys have any ideas or easy checks, let me know. I don't have an OBD2 checker so I don't have any codes for you yet. We'll see if it comes to takeing her to a shop.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Ok...

Check for fuel system problem...IE: Filter clogged....

Second...Check all IC connections....maybe something came loose.

Best of all.....have a mechanic check for codes and see what's happening. Could be a stupid little problem.

Don

A bad TPS will cause the engine to "skip". Just fixed the same problem on a 96 Dodge V10 Ram. Accelerating up hill felt like it was slipping on ice every couple of seconds. Like a smal shudder. Idling on the spot was eratic. Idling fine then a huge drop/surge.

Kinda tha same thing.

I rebuilt my 95 SC engine and had a good idle and but really missed/hesitated during acceleration. Come to find out one of the fuel rail bolts had worked loose and was letting fuel out of one of the injector holes. Couldn't really see it when it idled and didn't know it under throttle ( hood closed) until I had the hood open and revved it up in the drive way and saw a small mist coming from the loose side under the hood while it was opened.

Just a thought

Smitty

Back