Gap for NGK iridiums

tbirdaj

I have the NGK iridium TR6IX and need help finding a good gap for 75hp nitrous and 10% supercharger O.D. Is that even the correct iridium plug or should I use th TR55-1IX. I will be gapping them with pliers from the outside so as not to break the tip.

tbirdaj said:
I have the NGK iridium TR6IX and need help finding a good gap for 75hp nitrous and 10% supercharger O.D. Is that even the correct iridium plug or should I use th TR55-1IX. I will be gapping them with pliers from the outside so as not to break the tip.

Mike Puckett uses those same plugs gapped a .050. I used the other one you listed and gapped them at .035 for running with nitrous and 26% overdrive.

I would gap them .040-.045 with your mods.

David

Thanks guys I really apprecciate (spelling) the wealth of knowledge this club and it's member provide

Might be kinda off topic, but I'm using autolite 103s and have gapped them to .045 and .040 on the new engine I've put together. I'm having some no start issues, and am curious if I should try gapping em down to .030 or .035

Would gap be that importnt during cranking?

sizemoremk said:
Might be kinda off topic, but I'm using autolite 103s and have gapped them to .045 and .040 on the new engine I've put together. I'm having some no start issues, and am curious if I should try gapping em down to .030 or .035

Would gap be that importnt during cranking?

No...the wider gap would be better. They only need to be gapped tighter at high cylinder pressure like when running a lot of boost or nitrous.

Have you checked out all the basic stuff like if your getting, spark, fuel and compression ? Are you sure the plug wires are on correctly, is the cam sensor scyncro installed correctly..ect..ect..?

Have you tried running the key on engine off codes ?

David

I was running autolite 103's gapped at .045 with a 55 dry shot of zex and am currently running them with the 75 shot until I have time to change the plugs out I never had a problem with them until I jumped up the boost and nitrous. I used to have no start issues until I changed out the D.I.S. module after that evertything was solved

tbirdaj said:
I was running autolite 103's gapped at .045 with a 55 dry shot of zex and am currently running them with the 75 shot until I have time to change the plugs out I never had a problem with them until I jumped up the boost and nitrous. I used to have no start issues until I changed out the D.I.S. module after that evertything was solved

I'm gonna start a new thread and quit hijacking this one:eek:

But were you getting any spark at all with a bad DIS???

I am unsure about the NGK but teh densos reccomend not to regap. I figured Id give it a try. With 21psi I was getting no spark blow out. Basically you want as wide a gap without blwoing teh spark out....You can tell when spark is plowing out as it will break up on the top end under full boost.

That is what it is doing with the 103's gapped at .045 but only under full boost with nitrous so I was thinking I should close it to .035 with the iriduims but wasn't sure.

sizemoremk said:
I'm gonna start a new thread and quit hijacking this one:eek:

But were you getting any spark at all with a bad DIS???
When the first D.I.S. module went out I had no spark at all. when the second went out it was one or two cylinders that wouldn't fire so I replace the cheap niehoff with a brand new motorcraft one and haven't had any problems.

Back