AOD installation

ThunderDave

I've taken the AOD out of my 91 to go in the 89 I bought. I'm using the torque convertor from the 89 though and it's still bolted to the flywheel. Do I need to take it off and put it in the transmission and then install the transmission or can I install it with the convertor already bolted up? Any info on this would sure be great. Thanks!!!!

I think you'd find it alot easier to take it off the fly wheel and put it on the tranny first. I haven't done an Ford AOD yet but I've done some chevies in the past and you had to spin the t/c around till it seated in properly.

Frit

I agree. Remove the t.c. from the flywheel to install. To hard to get the trans. and t.c. to seat properly.

Thanks guys! I was thinking it would be easier to do it that way. I knew the convertor had to seat just right, but wasn't sure if it could be done with it already bolted up. I'm assuming there is a way to keep the convertor from turning while taking the bolts out?

Also, what should the convertor bolts and transmission bolts be torqued to?

Thanks!

20 - 34 ft lbs. for the converter to flywheel bolts......

You might want to use some blue loctite on those for insurance......;)

Now would be a very good time to replace the pump seal on the front of the transmission that you will be using.....:D

Back