'03 SC Cobra motor in an SC

drewk

Does anyone know how much trouble this swap would be, or if it is even possible? I know anything's possible with the right amount of money, but I don't want to get too out of hand. I'm hoping to hear I can get the motor, tranny and all the swap work done for under $10,000. I'm pretty sure I'd have to beef up the suspension to compensate for the extra weight, but what ever I'd have to do, I know that car would be awsome and well worth it. If anyone has any useful info related to doing the job, or may know someone in SW Michigan who could do the work, please let me know. Thanks.

some one on tccoa did it but he had to get a custom hood since its taller than our motors custom headers I know he had alot of tranny issues have to do some suspension work obviously new computer and such. In one post on there forum he saud he might as well bought a new cobra for how much cost in fab he had

Theres a pretty good thread on the swap over on tccoa started by phreakness. He's putting one in a mark 8. One of the major problems they ran into was alternator placement (as the cobra motor has the alt on the bottom, and they said the clearance was about 1/8"). It'd make for a nice final result, but I'm thinking it'd be more than $10k too.

David I hate to dissagree,

But I can get a complete legal 03-04 motor and tranny for under $6,000, aftermarket EFI for 1,500 with a tune, great fuel system for $1,000, exhaust varies dependant on how much you want to spend. Then how much to install it all. Sell the 6 speed to use your auto more money in pocket. My buddy has this same setup in a mark VIII for way under 10,000 doing all the work himself. I think its very doable. ALl depends on how much to install..And how much to buy teh engine..Aftermarket EFI is a plug in..No tuning required

Your best bet would be to find a wrecked Cobra and buy it to use all of the parts, wiring, engine, trans, etc etc .. then all you need is a custom exhaust and driveshaft, plus a few other things. Paying to have somebody do the work for you is going to be the expensive part.

- Dan

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
David I hate to dissagree,

But I can get a complete legal 03-04 motor and tranny for under $6,000, aftermarket EFI for 1,500 with a tune, great fuel system for $1,000, exhaust varies dependant on how much you want to spend. Then how much to install it all. Sell the 6 speed to use your auto more money in pocket. My buddy has this same setup in a mark VIII for way under 10,000 doing all the work himself. I think its very doable. ALl depends on how much to install..And how much to buy teh engine..Aftermarket EFI is a plug in..No tuning required
I agree to an extent. The motors vary quite a bit from what I have seen. Anywhere from 5k to about 8k for Motor, tranny, Engine harness. See the big problem that you would run into is, you have to custom fabricate alot of things to make just the swap itself work. And that is where alot of the money will go into the project. Anytime someone has to do the work for you, you will have to pay alot of $ usually. Doing it your self would be the way to go.

Damon,

I looked into installing a 03 Cobra motor into an SC before deciding to do the turbo project about three years ago. A nearly new motor with harness was going for close to $10K at that time. Yes it can be done, but I certianly wouldn't call anything about it "plug and play".

After having heavily modded two SCs already and going way way over budget on both, I think my estimate is much closer than yours. Even though I think it would be a cool project, I don't plan to attempt it because I can't even seem to complete the projects I'm already doing.

David

David Neibert said:
Damon,

I looked into installing a 03 Cobra motor into an SC before deciding to do the turbo project about three years ago. A nearly new motor with harness was going for close to $10K at that time. Yes it can be done, but I certianly wouldn't call anything about it "plug and play".

After having heavily modded two SCs already and going way way over budget on both, I think my estimate is much closer than yours. Even though I think it would be a cool project, I don't plan to attempt it because I can't even seem to complete the projects I'm already doing.

David
listen to this man , he's been there and done that.

[QUOTElisten to this man , he's been there and done that.][/QUOTE]

Oh I listen to what everyone has to say...Very few listen to what I have to say. Installing an aftermarket EFI system is definitely plug and play in many situations. Especially for a known setup such as an 04/04 cobra engine. If you cant do the job then you shouldnt be doing it.

I had mentioned to David at the beginning of his turbo v8 venture to go aftermarket EFI. We all live and learn. Sometimes it just costs more and we learn the hard way.

My biggest mistake was my red SC...I learned the hard way..Even teh best laid out plans fail.

But back to the Cobra swap,,,Price an engine...And take it from there. There are many reputable shops nationwide that can do the swap for you. If I can do it..I'd sure be suprised if they couldnt

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Oh I listen to what everyone has to say...Very few listen to what I have to say. Installing an aftermarket EFI system is definitely plug and play in many situations. Especially for a known setup such as an 04/04 cobra engine. If you cant do the job then you shouldnt be doing it.

I had mentioned to David at the beginning of his turbo v8 venture to go aftermarket EFI. We all live and learn. Sometimes it just costs more and we learn the hard way.

My biggest mistake was my red SC...I learned the hard way..Even teh best laid out plans fail.

But back to the Cobra swap,,,Price an engine...And take it from there. There are many reputable shops nationwide that can do the swap for you. If I can do it..I'd sure be suprised if they couldnt

Damon,

I knew at some point I would be upgrading to a standalone for the turbo car, but I didn't really know which one I wanted until recently. That and I was curious to see what could be accomplished with an EECIV and an SCT chip. It would probably have worked fine if I only wanted to make 500 or 600 HP or was willing to use a draw thru configuration with a bypass valve instead of the blow thru with a BOV.

BTW, I wasn't even including that in the $30k.

David

If you're considering the swap, I would suggest starting with a 4.6L MN12 rather than a SC. It will save you a TON of wiring changes (been there, done that).

-Rod

Thanks for everyone's comments. I stopped into a performance shop today, and I spoke with a mechanic who had done a '95 cobra driveline in a '65 mustang. He said with his labor, the fab work to the chassis and all the wiring included, the guy dropped $9,000. He got online today and quickly found an engine from an '03 cobra, oil pan to blower for $3,650. He guessed a couple of thousand for a tranny, which could put me out the door for under $15,000 with no grease on my hands. He also commented that the hardest part would be getting the dash to work. Somehow I wouldn't have guessed that to be the most difficult part, but of course I'm not the professional. Anyway, nobody would happen to know where there is a SC Cobra wrecked from the back that I could pickup for parts do they?

drewk said:
He also commented that the hardest part would be getting the dash to work.

Exactly. Sounds like you found a pretty knowledgeable mechanic.

If you start with a 4.6L MN12, you can stick with the 4.6L MN12 electronics for the most part. You'll just have to modify the engine harness and chip or flash the EEC.

-Rod

drewk said:
Anyway, nobody would happen to know where there is a SC Cobra wrecked from the back that I could pickup for parts do they?

I would think getting a standalone EFI setup would be the best route. Consider around 1,500 with a tune for that motor.
It would make the mechanics job alot easier as well

So, if I bought just a crate motor and tranny, and did a standalone EFI setup, how much more in the way of electronic connections and a computer would I need to aquire?

I hate to speak negatively, but....

If David Neibert is remotely close on his estimate of $30K it will be much easier to just buy a low mileage '03-'04 Cobra and call it a day.;)
Frank

Back