Brake Leak At Pump: Please Help

tillotson_david

Hello been having this problem for a while now and posted a while back without any replys so trying again. The leak looks like it might be coming from a sensor or something like that on the pump motor. It doesnt leak all the time just every now and then. I would appreciate any input on this matter from anyone who might of had the same problem or nows of anyone that has. Thanks.:confused: :confused:

89-92 SC or 93-95? the brakes are different. On my '89, the leak was coming from the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump...it's a no-pressure hose, but had deteriorated over the years. There are also some switches that can leak, but I haven't had any of those. Searching for "brake leak" or "abs leak" might give you more suggestions.

tillotson_david said:
Hello been having this problem for a while now and posted a while back without any replys so trying again. The leak looks like it might be coming from a sensor or something like that on the pump motor. It doesnt leak all the time just every now and then. I would appreciate any input on this matter from anyone who might of had the same problem or nows of anyone that has. Thanks.:confused: :confused:
it is an 89 SC sorry for the confusion

Do you recognize the part here anywhere?:
absactuator.jpg

It's probably your ABS pressure switch. It's a mint green anodized aluminum cylinder shape mounted just above and forward of the ABS pump. When mine leaked it was intermittent and got more frequent the worse it got.

Jeremy_K said:
It's probably your ABS pressure switch. It's a mint green anodized aluminum cylinder shape mounted just above and forward of the ABS pump. When mine leaked it was intermittent and got more frequent the worse it got.
Thanks for the post thats xactly what mine is doing and when it started it was just a drip. Now it is leaking more frequently and more than a drip. What did you do to fix it. Thanks for the reply.

The company that makes the specialty tools for Ford makes a socket specifically for the pressure switch. But if you take the whole unit out you might be able get some channel locks on it. There is a small o-ring on the end of the switch. Replace that, but make sure it is EPDM rubber or otherwise brake fluid resistant!

If it is not the pressure switch that is leaking, it could be the gasket between the pump motor and its houseing. Two allen screws hold the pump on. Mine was leaking in December. I found a local gasket manufacutuer in Norfolk, VA called Gaskin's Gaskets. http://www.safetyvalve.com/
I gave them the motor and the housing and I had them make me two EPDM rubber gaskets. They HAND CUT the gaskets at the proper thickness and size for me for $8 a gasket. I thought that was a great price. That was my latest brake leak issue. The gasket worked. This company will make you anything so long as they have the size.

Also, like it was mentioned above-the gaskets where the reservior hose goes into the pump housing. About a 2 years ago, that was leaking on my because the gasket for some reason was cocked out of its seating.

I've had more that enough problems with my brake unit. And have takeing it apart about 4 times. So, if you need more help let me know. I've fixed my problems every time!

Metalman

metalman said:
The company that makes the specialty tools for Ford makes a socket specifically for the pressure switch. But if you take the whole unit out you might be able get some channel locks on it. There is a small o-ring on the end of the switch. Replace that, but make sure it is EPDM rubber or otherwise brake fluid resistant!

If it is not the pressure switch that is leaking, it could be the gasket between the pump motor and its houseing. Two allen screws hold the pump on. Mine was leaking in December. I found a local gasket manufacutuer in Norfolk, VA called Gaskin's Gaskets. http://www.safetyvalve.com/
I gave them the motor and the housing and I had them make me two EPDM rubber gaskets. They HAND CUT the gaskets at the proper thickness and size for me for $8 a gasket. I thought that was a great price. That was my latest brake leak issue. The gasket worked. This company will make you anything so long as they have the size.

Also, like it was mentioned above-the gaskets where the reservior hose goes into the pump housing. About a 2 years ago, that was leaking on my because the gasket for some reason was cocked out of its seating.

I've had more that enough problems with my brake unit. And have takeing it apart about 4 times. So, if you need more help let me know. I've fixed my problems every time!

Metalman

Thanks metalman thats what i needed to know will try the o-ring first because i think it might really be the problem. At least I hope thats the problem. Thanks again.:)

Back