Help with DIS

Merlon

I have a question about the dis and what hooks into it. on the passenger side of the DIS it hooks into the ac unit and then there is this fuse looking plug, that will make my car misfire,when removed. whats this for?

i may be able to get pics up later, but i think if you own a 90 sc or ahave seen ones dis, you know what i mean.

oh?

point to it?

and this picture is from nickelman60. thanks

Attachments

• P5250037.jpg
    P5250037.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 215
it's the spout...

It makes the DIS and PCM go to base timing for checking timing properly.

If you pull it, the car will be at base timing (10* BTDC)

Don

okay thanks

no use to me out then is it? caused my car to run real crappy. maybe becasue i run on 93octane

called around to get new

motorcraft wires and plugs. $300 for labour and parts jsut to put in plugs and wires. why? what the hell? $120 mtorcraft wires? i can use oe borg warner right?

Merlon said:
motorcraft wires and plugs. $300 for labour and parts jsut to put in plugs and wires. why? what the hell? $120 mtorcraft wires? i can use oe borg warner right?

Buy some Taylor wires on Summit for about $45. It runs like a dog with the spout out because the computer can't control the ignition timing. Put it back in.

If your looking for the octane plug (looks the same), it's back near the EEC test port near the passender side firewall.

David

I totally agree with David on this. Buying a cheap set of those wires is only going to cause problems. By cheap, I mean cheaply built. The Taylor wires are a much better quality the anything in Autozone.

Chris

David Neibert said:
Buy some Taylor wires on Summit for about $45. It runs like a dog with the spout out because the computer can't control the ignition timing. Put it back in.

If your looking for the octane plug (looks the same), it's back near the EEC test port near the passender side firewall.

David
Summit has several wire sets by Taylor. I'm assuming you're recommending the "Spiro-pro" wires, and are they available for SC specific with the stock clip type connectors at the coil? John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
Summit has several wire sets by Taylor. I'm assuming you're recommending the "Spiro-pro" wires, and are they available for SC specific with the stock clip type connectors at the coil? John

Yes,

Summit part numbers are

TAY-74669 (blue)
TAY-74269 (red)

David

PS: The picture on Summit is wrong, so don't let that confuse you.

allright

whats a summit? autozone for midwest? or s shucks napa? i have a mechanic but they said 3 hours to do my plugs, and the plugs are motorcraft, and wireset is too, but the price was $300. im thinking $150 more or lessdepending on wireset and plugs.
$50 wires
$30plugs
$70-90 labor.

Merlon said:
whats a summit? autozone for midwest? or s shucks napa? i have a mechanic but they said 3 hours to do my plugs, and the plugs are motorcraft, and wireset is too, but the price was $300. im thinking $150 more or lessdepending on wireset and plugs.
$50 wires
$30plugs
$70-90 labor.

summitracing.com

Merlon said:
$50 wires
$30plugs
$70-90 labor.
Summitracing.com
Have you ever attempted to change your own plugs and wires? 3 hours for a mechanic not experienced with the SC is a reasonable time to change plugs and wires. At $65.00 per hour going rate, you figure out the labor charge. Also a mechanic is going to charge you more than your cost on the plugs and wires. How do you suppose he pays his overhead and feeds his family. $300 parts and labor for SC plugs and wires=reasonable charge. John

allright

got it. so no where near california.
i am going to go to my mechanic, and make sure i do need the new wires and plugs. i want to rid myself of this effing misfire i have had for so long.

wires look old, and i dont know when the previous owner changed them or when the plugs were replaced. so ill pull one.

like im walking in the dark with this car, hate it so much sometimes, but i also couldnt bring myself to sell it. not now.

Its fine till it warms up then ~~~~. i can pull the mafs and it runs a little further when warmed without the misfire, but its still there.

bought $10 heatsink grease didnt would. use premium gas, only slightly better.

used seafoam through the crancase and gas tank, booster cable. changed oil, no difference. no white smoke either. so make a clogged cat?

most people get some white carbon smoke, me i got none, or actually so little it dissapated by the time it hit the bumper.

might not even be a misfire, i think it is though.

driving along and at a red light, it will start to shake a little, then a lot. the whole vehicle. it sputters. and makes a motorcyle sound when accelerating. the boost gauge goes all the way to 5psi while the speedomoter barely climbs. at the red light the boost gauge will go up and down, and so will the speedo.

reads 16-18 vaccum, and idles at 650. would a clogged cat cause this problem? i almost didnt pass smog becasue of high NOX. and the car wasnt driven for a few years but was garaged, then pu tback on the street with new hoses, and some injector cleaner, and octane in a bottle.

maybe i can get a video or pictures of what i mean up soon. this may help, becasue you guys probably have had this problem, and fixed or killed your SC for it.

if i were to bring the plugs and wires. i know that they inflate the cost, so i have done this before. they are okay with it. i have changed my own plugs and wires, but on a bronco. and its way easier than this looks like. im relativley skinny so i may be able to get a few from the top, and maybe take a wheel out, and go from the wheel well. anyone ever do it this way?

No...I do them all from the top. Just do them one at a time and save your money. It takes a bit of time, but it is not hard.......'cept the last one.

Chris

Back